problem of application dependency for security rule

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

problem of application dependency for security rule

L3 Networker

Hi all.

I have a question of application dependency when define a security rule with application.
I’d like to add a security rule for a webex, and webex must requires SSL due to application dependency.
so  I add both of applications webex and SSL in a same security rule for allow to webex.

After added a rule, I can access SSL webex. But other SSL traffic also allows by this webex rule.
Because of this webex rule allows all SSL traffic.

I’d like to only allow webex SSL traffic and  must need to block SSL traffic excluding SSL of Webex.

What is the best way to define only Webex SSL traffic?

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

You could combine your security rule with a URL Filter policy, to only allow access to the webex sites, either through the pre defined category or through a custom URL category.

Hoepfully this will be addressed in upcoming versions so you will only need to specify "webex" (in this case) and it will behind the scenes allow SSL but then drop the traffic if it doesnt match webex after the initial ssl handshake.

Hi mikand.

thanks for good information.

if you know, could you tell me the more detail regarding of it?

for example.

when and what version will fix this problem? and etc.

Thanks.

I think its best if one of the PA people in here could answer you on this one.

In my case one could call it "rumours says" 😉

But as I understand it PA is currently working to fix this but dunno when and to what extend this will be addressed (because I guess there might be situations where a "behind the scenes" allow just wont cut it and you need to manually allow the traffic anyway). So just let us keep our fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Product Management is working to make the dependencies more intuitive but there is no definite target release that I am aware of. Check with Sales, they deal with future features and enhancements.

For now you have two choices.

1) Create a policy for all dependencies in one rule but include the destination IP or URL. This has limited success depending on the site, caching proxies and URL redirects

2) Create generic Web-browsing and SSL policies that allow this traffic and then create a separate policy for the application in question. Most of these apps start as web-browsing, then add an HTTPS (ssl) authentication aspect and then evolve into the new application.

Steve Krall

Hi all.

Thank for your great information.

i hope that PA will has enhanced this issue as quickly as possible.

thanks guys.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!