rate-limiting qos policy

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

rate-limiting qos policy

Not applicable

Hi,

I'm interested in creating a simple qos policy, which will rate-limit streaming applications for all users, except a group of power users.

I'm assuming that I would have to create two QOS rules (policies).

First one will assign streaming traffic for power users (source user = power users). In this case I would probably omit class, so that the default class 4 is allocated.

Second one will assign a class of service (say 😎 for all users for streaming traffic.

At the same time I would create a qos profile and nattcahed to internal interface, which would rat-limit streaming traffic to a fixed value (say 10meg).

Appreciate comments / reviews from anyone who has done or has a similar request.

Rgd,

Burim

5 REPLIES 5

L4 Transporter

You are on the right track. What you have described should accomplish the behavior that you desire.

thanks,

Stephen

Why are there several places to put QoS policy in 4.0.

I want the same rule, but I have a bunch of places to configure it. 

Let's be very specific:

Here is what I want: Rate limit P2P traffic to 10 Meg for one group and not the other.

1) A QoS Object that has a class of 8 maximum of 10 Mbps.

2) I tie that QoS policy to the inside LAN interface.

3) I put in two QoS policies, one for the first group and another for the second.

Then what?

Here's a good doc on how to configure QoS:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1162

It was originally written for version 3.0, but configuration of QoS is largely the same as in 4.x.

for Amansour:

Configure your QoS policies for the class you want in the "Class" column on the right.  For the restricted group, use class 8, for the other group choose a different class, say class 1.  After this you need to go to the Network tab > QoS profile > and define how much bandwidth Class 8 gets and how much Class 1 gets.  Finally, click QoS and apply it to your inside interface.  Commit and you're done.  Steps are better layed out with screen shots in the doc linked above.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-2123 is an updated document regarding QoS.

Updated QoS document: QoS in PAN-OS 4.1

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!