Intermittent bug when editing security rules

Highlighted
L3 Networker

Intermittent bug when editing security rules

This one may have been introduced in the June 16th release as I haven't come across it before.

1) Rule you want to edit is like the following:

- Tag: tag_A

- Src zone: inside

- Dst zone: any

- Src IP: any

- Dst IP: 1.2.3.4

- Dst port: any

2) Goal is to add a new tag to the rule. Edit the rule by double-clicking it, expand the tags side window, add the new tag, click Update, then click Save.

3) New rule looks like this:

- Tag: tag_B (tag_A is now missing even though it should still exist)

- Src zone: inside

- Dst zone: any

- Src IP: any

- Dst IP: ANY (IP got wiped out)

- Dst port: any

I've seen other similar behavior when adding a tag, for instance the destination port field being wiped out in addition to the Dst IP field. Not reproducible every time, but semi-consistent.

Tags (1)
L7 Applicator

Re: Intermittent bug when editing security rules

Hi,

I cannot reproduce it, How many times have seen this behaviour?

L3 Networker

It's happened maybe 5 times out of the last 10 times I tried to edit a rule. Usually the fix is to hit the Undo button and it the edit works the 2nd time around.

L3 Networker

Has anyone else come across this? It just happened to me again and I'm using the 3.0.7 July 2nd release.

I opened a security rule that had multiple source IPs listed, added a tag to the rule, and when I clicked Save all of the source IPs were removed from the rule - leaving the new value of "any".

That's a pretty serious bug as far as MT bugs go. If people don't notice that happening rules could be drastically changed unexpectedly.

L7 Applicator

Hi,

We are reviewing again the process, its really hard to reproduce we have been editing hundreds of rules without any success, always work as expected but let us review and add more checks before to delete anything from the rule. Thanks for the patience.

L3 Networker

Thanks for continuing to look into this.

I have a colleague that also ran into this issue on a separate instance of the MT. The common theme may be the Chrome browser? Maybe use that when trying to replicate. I haven't used the tool enough with Firefox or IE to know if it's browser specific, but it definitely happens in Chrome.

Not applicable

I have had a similar bug with updating zones in chrome with version 7/2 of the tool.

When updating the zones, and saving, the source and destination IP's disappear. When completed in Firefox there is no issue

Perhaps its because this configuration has had the zones removed because of a merge operation, but not the rule sets.

L7 Applicator

Hi,

We had to chance the way we were managing the multi-edit to see if we fix all this issues. The version with the fix will be 3.1 expected to be released on July 31st 2015. Regards

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!