Migrating many FSWM contexts, how to bulk rename rule names?

Highlighted

Migrating many FSWM contexts, how to bulk rename rule names?

Hi,

I'm migrating a substantial number of FWSM context configs to a single PANW cluster.

Each FWSM context gets me new zones, and a security rulebase starting with "Rule 1" and going on from there.

When I merge these configs, MT3 does not see these identically named rules as conflicts.  Pushing them to Panorama, some rules get overwritten, some remain; it becomes a mess in a way unpredictable to me.

So I need to bulk rename the security rules to prevent these name conflicts.  I can generate "set" syntax of course and awk/sed it to my needs, but perhaps MT3 offers a rename facility that I've been overlooking?

Regards, Jeroen

Tags (1)
L7 Applicator

Re: Migrating many FSWM contexts, how to bulk rename rule names?

Hi,

Are you sure that are not listed in the Dashboard as Duplicated Security Rules?

You can rename it from the security rules, click with right button in one rule and Then under Rule Names you can select first the Remove all to remove all the names and after that use the Rename to Rule XX

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 14.58.58.png

I didn't see that, but will that help?  I see them as duplicates in the Consolidation pane, but that just makes me click manually through all duplicates.

I have a large number of these rule bases to convert, with hundreds (some thousands) of rules.  Too much to go through manually, one by one, and I'd greatly prefer a single "change all rules starting with 'Rule' to 'Inst1 Rule'" to manually going through these.

Back to set syntax, then?

Hi,

"Rename to Rule XX" doesn't seem to do anything, but "Fix Duplicated" results in the second "Rule 1" getting renamed to "Rule 1_1".  I'd have chosen a different substition (adding a prefix), but this will do.  Thanks for the pointer!

Regards, Jeroen.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!