SRX configs won't import

L1 Bithead

SRX configs won't import

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get any SRX configs into the tool.  I've used the command it asks for "show config | display xml | no-more"

Every one that I tried gave me

"XML is invalid. (Tip:Remove attributes from configuration tag)"

I've cleared the attributes from the configuration tag. I've made sure the file starts with the configuration tag and ends closing it.  I saw in the comments section of the post announcing the new migration tool that someone had the same issue and had to perform "show config | display xml | save filename.xml" then scp that file off of the SRX to get it to work.  I don't have that option.

Is there any help you guys can provide?  Is it as simple as removing a specific section?

Tags (1)
L7 Applicator

Re: SRX configs won't import

Can you paste the first 2 lines and last 2 lines from your config here?

L1 Bithead

I've tried several iterations from a few different firewalls, but most were edited to reflect the following.  I did remove the 'version' line and it seemed like it got a little further before giving me the error, but they all end the same way, not in the tool.

First:

<configuration>

<version>10.2R3.10</version>

<groups>

Last:

</applications>

</configuration>

L7 Applicator

Looks good to me. Now its useful try to open the xml file from Firefox for example. If there is something wrong with the XML you will see from Firefox. Can you try to open the file with Firefox?

L1 Bithead

It opens to show the full file.  If I break one of the tags and open it again it errors out.

Highlighted
L7 Applicator

Have you tried to reload your browser and start a new project with the file?

L1 Bithead

I'll start by saying it's now working.  Thanks for your time today.

I had deleted the project and started again a few times (restarting the VM and my browser each time) but always ran into the error.  I think the only thing I did differently this time was import the SRX configs first (I've also got one ASA config).  To test whether that was an issue I then created yet another project and imported the ASA first again, but this time everything worked.  I have no idea what compelled it to suddenly work, but I appreciate you working with me.

L2 Linker

I had a similar problem and there were some errors within the xml that the migration tool didn't catch which would cause the import to fail. I used xml notepad and notepad ++ to identify and edit them out.

L2 Linker

I can confirm SRX import still fails if you dont import it before the base configuration file. Thanks cory for pointing it out.
L7 Applicator

Im doing tests with 3.3.4 and I was able to import a Base config and after that the SRX config. Have you seen the combo box top right to change between configs? I mean after import SRX you will see your Base config in your screen, if you want to see the SRX you have to select from the combo box top-right. Regards

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!