Using VirtualBox instead of VMWare Player

L0 Member

Using VirtualBox instead of VMWare Player

Hi,

I'm interested in using VirtualBox instead of VMware Player due to licensing issues with VMware for my company.

Question: Will you make the Migration Tool available in an OVF format (open standard) - so that it can work with VirtualBox? VirtualBox is open software and does not cost my company per deployment.

Thanks.

L7 Applicator

Re: Using VirtualBox instead of VMWare Player

Yes we will provide an OVF but by now you can use VMplayer or just follow this guide to convert the Vmware into virtualbox How To Convert Virtual Machines Between VirtualBox and VMware

Regards

L0 Member

Thanks for working to make an OVF format of the tool.

Do you know when this might be available for use?

I was able to convert the VM to OVF format, but when I try to use the networking settings in VirtualBox it doesn't seem to work. I believe it's because the "VirtualBox Guest Additions" have to be installed.

Is there a way I could install the Guest Additions myself in order to get the VM to work?

L0 Member

I've been using the Migration Tool in VirtualBox with no issues so far and no need to convert to an OVF.

Just select the VMDK as your HDD. I'm running it as a 64bit Linux Other. For the network settings, just select NAT and setup a port forwarding rule. After that connect with your browser to your loopback address and the host port you selected. You also don't need the VBox Guest Additions.

L0 Member

Can you please outline the steps you took to install the Migration Tool on a VirtualBox?

L0 Member

I'm using VB 5.0.10 to run the MT v3.2

I imported the VM as an applicance (Command-I) MigrationTool31.ovf

change the CPU/RAM setting to suit my system (1CPU/1GB)

used the bridge mode on network interface and VM gets a DHCP allocated IP on my home network.

from there, point your browser to the IP assigned to the VM and you're good to go.

You can also set it up on a host-only NIC (vboxnet0) and have the IP allocated by the DHCP server running on vbox

Check settings in Virtualbox ->Preferences ->Network -> Host-only -> DHCP server

Enjoy!

L0 Member

Anyone have a problem getting the VM to generate a "VM-CPUID"?  Mine is blank while the VM-UUID is populated.  Snippet from 'show system info':

vm-uuid: 79138B05-F0E9-4CBB-8ACE-C477B1D9FFF3
vm-cpuid:

L0 Member

same  problem here!

L0 Member

Anybody get a solution to the empty CPUID ?

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!