Work around a know Panorama bug

L3 Networker

Work around a know Panorama bug

There currently is a bug in Panorama (6.1.x), I'll try to explain it best I can.

Have a shared service-group and an address-group both with the SAME name.  Each group is used on different Device Group (DG) policies, and each has at least one member that's not employed anywhere in the other DG's policy.  Let me see if this helps...

An example:

• Device Group
    • DG1
      • security policy uses address-group ABCD but NOT service-group ABCD or service svc1
    • DG2
      • security policy uses service-group ABCD
  • shared
      • Objects
        • address -> addr1 = 1.1.1.1
        • address-group -> ABCD = addr1
        • service -> svc1 = tcp/65535
        • service-group -> ABCD = svc1

The Panorama setting to share unused objects is NOT enabled (Panorama->Setup->Management->Panorama Settings::Share Unused Address and Service Objects with Devices).

When you commit to a DG1 device, Panorama incorrectly includes the service-group in the package BUT it does not include its members.  So basically the ABCD service-group is sent to DG1, but not svc1.  Since svc1 isn't being used anywhere in DG1's policy, validation fails with an invalid error.

So you can imagine scenario, converting a policy from a vendor that allows same name address and service groups, import that into Panorama and create conflicts to any existing DGs that might have the same name group.  We've actually encountered this situation twice already in our shop.

Would like to see MT identify such conflicts when merging configs.

Thx,

--Felix

P.S. If you'd like, we can run a webmtg and show you what's going on.  Ron Johns also has the details.

L7 Applicator

Re: Work around a know Panorama bug

Do you have the bug id number from the ticket so we can track when the resolution shows up in the release notes?

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center
Not applicable

Re: Work around a know Panorama bug

Based on the case (00243886), the bug ID is 68847.  Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!