Minemeld High Availability

L1 Bithead

Minemeld High Availability

MineMeld needs to be deployed in a high availability model, so if one goes down firewall will not start blocking allowed traffic from the rule base. What is the recommendation here?

L7 Applicator

Re: Minemeld High Availability

Current suggestion for HA is having 2 MM instances running behind a load balancer. Config sync should be still done manually.

Luigi

L0 Member

If we don't want to put ti behind a LB, what about having two MM instances, and having PAN pulling both feeds seperatly then incorporating both fo the feeds into the rule base? Do you see any issues with that?

L7 Applicator

Hi @lukjdye,

Great Idea ! I haven't tested this yet, but I think it should work.

Luigi

L1 Bithead

Using two MM instances and two EDLs for the same IP lists adds overhead to the firewall and could hit the EDL IP number limit for your hardware.

If an EDL source URL is unreachable, PAN OS just keeps using the old EDL values, so I would not be overly concerned if you can endure it 24-48 hours.

I would rather like to be warned when MM goes down, so I suggest configuring something like Nagios to ping and check https.

And I would like to be notified if a Miner fails updating a list N times: right now it seems the alert is only shown in the web UI.

L7 Applicator

Good point @irt-unimi. The double EDL solution would be viable only for small EDLs, like O365. 

L1 Bithead

Is this still the reccomendation?

L7 Applicator

Yes, but we are planning for something more advanced for the next major.

L1 Bithead

Thanks! any rough ETA on the next major release?

Highlighted
L0 Member

Just chekcing in to see if you had a target date for this.

Thanks!

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!