No metrics showing up in a syslog analyser node

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

No metrics showing up in a syslog analyser node

L4 Transporter

Hi,

I followed this post the other day and have been forwarding logs from my firewall for 2 days now, but without any hits, so I am wondering if I have done something wrong? I can see in a tcpdump dump on the minemeld server, that logs are received on port 13514/TCP. Also, the logs that are sent to minemeld are dropped traffic from an EDL, so the indicators should be present.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/MineMeld-Articles/Correlating-PAN-OS-syslog-with-indicators/ta-...

I am using the stdlib.localSyslog prototype, as I just want to know whits lists I hit.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

I'm using:

PAN-OS 8.0.3-h4

Minemeld v 0.9.40

16 REPLIES 16

L7 Applicator

Hi @borising,

please, could you attach a screenshots of the stats of the syslog miner node ? (Nodes > <syslog miner nodes> > Stats tab on the right)

Thanks,

luigi

Hi Luigi,

I have attached the screenshot, and a screenshot of the sources tab and how it looks on the Nodes page.

Regards,

Bo

Hi @borising,

could you double check the logs rsyslog in /var/log/rsyslog to see if there are errors in loading the rabbitmq modules ?

luigi

Hi Luigi,

There are only 2 rsyslog.log files, which I have cat'ed below. Rsyslogd is running, as you can see.

xxx@minemeld01:/var/log$ cat rsyslog.log
xxx@minemeld01:/var/log$ cat rsyslog.log.1
Jul  2 21:44:32 minemeld01 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.17.0" x-pid="5101" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Jul  2 21:44:32 minemeld01 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 104
Jul  2 21:44:32 minemeld01 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's userid changed to 101
Jul  2 21:45:14 minemeld01 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.17.0" x-pid="5101" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] exiting on signal 15.
Jul  2 21:45:14 minemeld01 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.17.0" x-pid="5420" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start
Jul  2 21:45:14 minemeld01 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's groupid changed to 104
Jul  2 21:45:14 minemeld01 rsyslogd: rsyslogd's userid changed to 101
Jul  4 06:53:12 minemeld01 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.17.0" x-pid="5420" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed
xxx@minemeld01:/var/log$ ps xau | grep rsyslogd
xxx       430  0.0  0.1  11764  1960 pts/1    S+   17:08   0:00 grep --color=auto rsyslogd
syslog    5420  0.0  0.0 378196   708 ?        Ssl  Jul02   0:03 rsyslogd

And the rsyslog version:

xxx@minemeld01:/var/log$ dpkg -l | grep rsyslog
ii  rsyslog                            8.17.0-0adiscon2trusty1                    amd64        a rocket-fast system for log processing
ii  rsyslog-minemeld                   8.16-0                                     amd64        minemeld modules for rsyslog
ii  rsyslog-mmnormalize                8.17.0-0adiscon2trusty1                    amd64        The rsyslog-mmnormalize package provides log normalization

Hi @borising,

could you check the output of this command:

sudo rabbimq_ctl list_queues | grep -i syslog

Here you go:

xxx@minemeld01:~$ sudo rabbitmqctl list_queues | grep -i syslog
localSyslog:rpc 0
mbus:directslave:localSyslog:rpc        0
mbus:slave:localSyslog:rpc      0
xxx@minemeld01:~$

Hi @lmori,

Any luck of finding out what causes this problem?

Thanks!

Hi @borising,

I am adding new counters in syslog matcher to help troubleshooting this, they will make into the next release. If you are in a hurry drop me an email at lmori@paloaltonetworks.com and we can have a webmeeting to debug this together.

Luigi

Hi @lmori,

When do you think the next release will be available?

Regards,

Bo

Hi @borising,

should be in a week.

Luigi

Hi @lmori,

Then I'll just wait, and update this message, when I have tested further 🙂

Regards,

Bo

Hi @borising,

which PAN-OS version are you using ?

Thanks,

luigi

Hi @lmori,

I started out with 8.0.3-h4, but have upgraded to 8.0.4 along the way.

Regards,

Bo

Hi again @lmori

I just did a debug session of when rsyslogd receives a syslog message, as I had a suspicion that it might be an issue parsing the 8.x logs.

Though I can't really get much out of it, you might 🙂 

So if you think you could use the output for further debugging, then let me know.

Regards,

Bo Rising

• 16 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!