Updated Ubuntu now cannot login

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Updated Ubuntu now cannot login

L2 Linker

So I performed upgrades to Ubuntu on the original MineMeld OVA VM and can no longer login with the default username and password.  This is NOT the UI password, but rather to log into the OS itself.

What can I do to recover this account?  Is there a hidden default root account?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok I got back in and the password was defiantly "reset" in a sense after an OS update.

To find the temporary password for your OVA within VMware vSphere go to MineMeld's 'edit settings', 'vApp Options' tab, expand 'Application properties', scroll down to "Default User's password" and you will see the temporary password.

Once logged in I was prompted to change it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

L3 Networker

Hi,

usually the update should not cange the username:password. But maybe the locals,keymap other was changed. Did you tred to login directly on the console or did you tried to login via ssh?

You know in the default password for user ubuntu is a "z" - maybe you should try "y" instead?

No other ideas here ...

I have the same thing!

I can not login via SSH with the ubuntu/rsplizardspock credentials (i tried converting the password to azrty: rspliwqrspock but also this did not work)

I can login to the GUI just fine

Could you boot in single user mode and check the user ? Is the cloud-init CD-ROM still attached to the instance ?

I'm not sure what the "z" or "y" passwords would be, but the default Minemeld OVA shell password is not being accepted.

Ok I got back in and the password was defiantly "reset" in a sense after an OS update.

To find the temporary password for your OVA within VMware vSphere go to MineMeld's 'edit settings', 'vApp Options' tab, expand 'Application properties', scroll down to "Default User's password" and you will see the temporary password.

Once logged in I was prompted to change it.

This "default user passowrd" field is empty with me...

Anybody else got a solution on how to get SSH/console access to the minemeld?

image005.png

Hi @mr.linus,

could you check if the MM ISO is still attached ? Have you tried booting in single user mode ?

Thanks,

luigi

It doesn't happen to be a blank password for you does it?

L4 Transporter

I have not yet updated the OS. Is there any specific process to follow or will it be standard ubuntu upgrade. Just want to make sure that it does not break Minemeld.

Hi @Sly_Cooper,

you can update MineMeld instance using a standard Ubuntu mechanism, this will bring your Ubuntu to 14.04.5:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

DO NOT USE "do-release-upgrade -d". It would upgrade your instance to Ubuntu 16.04 and this is not supported yet.

Before the upgrade I do a backup of current config and data:

$ sudo service minemeld stop
$ sudo tar -cvzf minemeld-backup.tar.gz /opt/minemeld/local
$ sudo service minemeld start

In case of errors, to restore in a new instance:

$ sudo service minemeld stop
$ cd /
$ sudo -u minemeld tar -xvzf minemeld-backup.tar.gz
$ sudo service minemeld start

How would you go about doing that, if you can't log in?  I'm having the same issue.  I haven't logged in to the CLI lately, and now it's not letting me in at all.  I'm also unable to log in in single user mode.  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!