PCI: How do I exempt an ASV scanner from the IPS functions (Next-Gen, Vuln-Protection... etc)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PCI: How do I exempt an ASV scanner from the IPS functions (Next-Gen, Vuln-Protection... etc)

L1 Bithead

We are trying to exempt our ASV scanner IPs from vuln protection, AV, etc... without whitelisting them from the firewall (host/port) rules we have in place.  All I can find is exempting IPs based on a single Threat ID.

Thanks.

PCI Scanning Standard:

"13. Arrangements must be made to configure the intrusion detection
system/intrusion prevention system (IDS/IPS) to accept the originating IP
address of the ASV. If this is not possible, the scan should be originated
in a location that prevents IDS/IPS interference "

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Kris.Waddle,

There isn't an easy way to do this. You will essentially need to duplicate the policies with the source IPs for your scanner and assign them a different profile-setting (I would assign them one where you alert on the traffic so you have logs to look back on, but it won't take any action to reset/drop the traffic). 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Kris.Waddle,

There isn't an easy way to do this. You will essentially need to duplicate the policies with the source IPs for your scanner and assign them a different profile-setting (I would assign them one where you alert on the traffic so you have logs to look back on, but it won't take any action to reset/drop the traffic). 

Hi BPry,

when you say set to alert you mean the security profile set to alert instead of none?

I was under the impression that if you do change vulnerability  security profile to none and log sessions at start or end this will still generate the traffic logs?

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

@MP18,

You would still get the traffic logs doing it your way, but you would miss out on the threats the firewall is actually able to properly identify and therefore protect against. For the particular issue that was discussed in this threat it allows you to see what the firewall would have actually done, while still allowing ASV to do it's job and identify the threats the systems are susceptible to.  

Many Thanks for answering the Question.

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!