Threat been dropped and yet allowed on the next try?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Threat been dropped and yet allowed on the next try?

L2 Linker

Hi all.  I am reviewing the "Threat" section on the Palo Alto firewall and I noticed some weird thing, perhaps it is normal, but I can't tell, thus this thread.  There are couple of threat in the "Critical" category indicated with the "dropped" action.  Yet when I opened the threat to see the details, I am seeing two timestamp for this event and each of the timestamp carries a different action.  For example, a timestamp at 4:00AM marked with a "dropped" action (type is "vulnerability), yet another timestamp at 4:01AM for the same threat (type is "end") would marked with an "allow" action.  Is this treat being blocked or it is allowed?  Little bit confuse here.  Thank you. 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker
This is actually common. The end type log is the traffic log indicating the traffic matched an allow policy . If you Look at the security policy it will break down from left to right with each field as an AND condition up to the action field which is allow or deny. After determining if the traffic is allowed it applies the threat profiles which generate an action in the threat logs in this case "dropped" In the threat log details you are seeing the associated traffic log which had the allow action which only indicates the traffic matched an allow policy.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker
This is actually common. The end type log is the traffic log indicating the traffic matched an allow policy . If you Look at the security policy it will break down from left to right with each field as an AND condition up to the action field which is allow or deny. After determining if the traffic is allowed it applies the threat profiles which generate an action in the threat logs in this case "dropped" In the threat log details you are seeing the associated traffic log which had the allow action which only indicates the traffic matched an allow policy.

Great.  Thank you for the explanation.  That make me feel relief a bit ^0^. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!