AWS - Availability Zones - Palo Alto Location

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

AWS - Availability Zones - Palo Alto Location

L0 Member

Hi,

I am looking at deploying the VM-Series into AWS to replace an existing deployment of Sophos UTMs. But can someone help tell me if I am going mad, or have found a limiation. The VM-Series would be used for egress traffic only, and we dont have tight SLA's so ideally a single VM FW will sort us out.

If I deploy a single VM-Series into say Availability Zone-1B, and some other hosts are also in the same AZ, now I can route all my traffic to the VM-Series FW and egress out to the web. All happy.

If I do the same have a VM-Series in 1B, but have some clients in AZ-1C, they cannot route out to the internet. I can see the traffic is hitting the firewall on the Monitor tab of the Firewall, but that is about as far as it gets.

Is there some horrible limitation where these firewalls can only route traffic if they are in the same AZ as the client?

With the Sophos UTM this has never been an issue before, whatever you point at it from whatever location it will just route out to the web. 

Of course could be I am doing something really stupid as well 🙂

0 REPLIES 0
  • 0 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!