Adding Interfaces to Azure Palo Alto VM

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Adding Interfaces to Azure Palo Alto VM

L2 Linker

How can we add interfaces to a PLao Alto VM because using Dashboard deployment, just 3 interfaces are deployed but in PAYG deplymnet for VM-300 4 interfaces are supported.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

Adding NIC to VM in azure is only possible via Azure CLI v2.0 using the following steps:

- Create a NIC in the desired subnet using Azure Portal, or use Azure CLI version 2.0. This NIC should be in the same VNET as VM-Series.
    - Shutdown VM-Series
    - Attach the NIC using Azure CLI v2.0 commands

# az vm nic add -g MyResourceGroup --vm-name MyVm --nics nic_name1 nic_name2

If that does not work then you need to use ARM template as stated by Michel.

Thanks

Mo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

you may alter the ARM templates on github. That is the fastest way. 

I made one for myself with 8 interfaces, using a Standard_DS4_v2 instance on a premium Storage account.

What I would like to do, is change the template to install the VM with managed OS disk, that is the next step. 

you can checkout the files I have created - https://github.com/michelvankessel/azure/tree/master/vmseries-avset

regards

Michel

L4 Transporter

Adding NIC to VM in azure is only possible via Azure CLI v2.0 using the following steps:

- Create a NIC in the desired subnet using Azure Portal, or use Azure CLI version 2.0. This NIC should be in the same VNET as VM-Series.
    - Shutdown VM-Series
    - Attach the NIC using Azure CLI v2.0 commands

# az vm nic add -g MyResourceGroup --vm-name MyVm --nics nic_name1 nic_name2

If that does not work then you need to use ARM template as stated by Michel.

Thanks

Mo

L3 Networker

Old question but I just dealt with this yesterday and it's not easy to find the answer so I'm posting here for the community.

The templates from the Palo Alto GutHub are deployed with a VM size of D3_v2 which supports 4 interfaces including the MGMT interface.

If you want to use more interfaces for your VM-Series deployment, you need to re-size your VM-Series in Azure after deploying it with the templates.

See information about sizes and number of interfaces supported below (as well as other specs such as CPUs):

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/10-0/vm-series-performance-capacity/vm-series-performanc...

The only ugly thing is that from 4 interfaces the next size (D4_v2) supports 8 interfaces so the price is a bit over double what the D3_v2 costs (a bit less than $427.05 per month at the time of this post).

Re-sizing can be easily done after the template is deployed.

Steps:

Shut down the VM-Series

Create your new subnet(s) (if they are not created yet)

Create your new interface object in Azure

Click on the VM-Series from your resource group

On the left pane, click on "Size"

In the search filter type "D4_v2"

Click on the result

Click on the "Resize" button

It takes less than one minute

Gustavo_Aristi_0-1617746369884.png

After resizing:

Go back to the VM

Click on "Attach network interface"

Gustavo_Aristi_2-1617746453403.png

Select your new interface from the dropdown list

Click "OK" and wait for the success message

You can see now your additional interface along with the others

Turn your VM-Series back on

Enjoy

Cyberforce Commander.
Don't forget to hit that Like button if a post is helpful to you!
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!