Apples Software Update gets blocked by Cortex XDR

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Apples Software Update gets blocked by Cortex XDR

L1 Bithead

Hello Palo Community,

does anybody know why the Apple SoftwareUpdate.exe got blocked by Cortex XDR  today

Or has someone else also encountered this Problem?

In the Community section of VirusTotal I discoverd a comment that Palo Alto apperently changed the status at one point, yet i have some triggers with this software that came in today.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/0682eef4ae722d6dad6b0c41f530d86e44f094f8487105372d5a03e0f0a437e9...

Thank you in advance,

ReisinM

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi @ReisingerM and @AZelle thank you for confirming. The issue has been resolved now. 

@MartinPfeil I understand the problems you faced and added the files to the global Allow List as a tactical measure. I'd suggest you can remove them now from the Allow List to prevent it from expanding with time and make it difficult to manage. Allow Lists and Block Lists are short-term measures and should ideally be avoided as a long-term solution. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

L1 Bithead

Hi,

yes, I can confirm. This happend yesterday on several hundred machines. But not only SoftwareUpdater.exe was affected, some other obviously clean tools, also.

The verdicts were already changed to benign yesterday in the evening.

Strange behavior which makes me a little nervous. Could happen to critical programs, too.

BR
Andreas

L5 Sessionator

Hi @ReisingerM and @AZelle this might be due to a potential issue with Wildfire verdicts within the last 24 hrs, which have been re-analyzed and re-categorized appropriately. Can you cross-check and validate if most of those alert types are Detection (Post Detected) or Prevention (Post Detected)?

Hello @bbarmanroy indeed all alerts concerning this problem are Detection (Post Detected).

L1 Bithead

Hi @bbarmanroy, yes it has been all Post Detected.

L1 Bithead

I also Posted this in General Topics to see if someone ther was able to confirme my suspicion and i got answere there https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/apple-softwareupdate-exe-got-blocked-by-cortex-x...

L2 Linker

It is benign software, initally identified as malware.

Same thing happend in the last two days for other software updates, like for Epson and HP:

Initially identified as malicious but then the verdict was reversed a few hours later.

Files had to be released manually and hashes had to be added by hand to the whitelist

L5 Sessionator

Hi @ReisingerM and @AZelle thank you for confirming. The issue has been resolved now. 

@MartinPfeil I understand the problems you faced and added the files to the global Allow List as a tactical measure. I'd suggest you can remove them now from the Allow List to prevent it from expanding with time and make it difficult to manage. Allow Lists and Block Lists are short-term measures and should ideally be avoided as a long-term solution. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!