Cortex XDR black screen after windows login

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cortex XDR black screen after windows login

L1 Bithead

We have about 8 Windows 10 computers that have Cortex XDR installed.  When the user can login but Windows only displays a black screen, you can bring up the task manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc.  I have tried to stop and restart explorer.exe but not luck.  You can open applications from the command line but the windows desktop will not display.  Uninstall Cortex agent, reboot the computer and then the windows desktop loads as normal.  I do have a case open with Palo Alto, just thought I would post here to see if anyone has had a similar issue.  Cortex versions are 7.6.1 and 7.6.2.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L1 Bithead

I did some more testing/troubleshooting and found it was related to a GPO.  Disabled the settings in the GPO and that seemed to fixed the issue.  The GPO in question was related to some old Windows 7 power options and set some registry keys for Policy Pak about power options.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

You have done the right thing opening the TAC case. 

In the meantime double check that you meet the requirements for installing cxdr agent on windows. Please see the attached doc
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/cortex/cortex-xdr/7-5/cortex-xdr-agent-admin/cortex-xdr-agent-for-...
KR, 

Luis 

L1 Bithead

I did some more testing/troubleshooting and found it was related to a GPO.  Disabled the settings in the GPO and that seemed to fixed the issue.  The GPO in question was related to some old Windows 7 power options and set some registry keys for Policy Pak about power options.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!