Mobile Phone Device Restriction on MacOS

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Mobile Phone Device Restriction on MacOS

L3 Networker

Hello all, 

I am currently looking into creating a Device Restriction Policy in which I block a physical connection of a Mobile Phone to MacOS endpoint. Once blocked I would expect to receive an alert on the Device Policy Violation page. Is this possible? 

In regards to Windows endpoints, this works seamlessly as expected and the device is recognized as Windows Portable Device. 

On MacOS what would be expected? 

Cortex XDR 

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

Hi @michaelsysec242,

Thanks for reaching out to LIVEcommunity!

I haven't been able to test this method just yet and I highly recommend that you do.  It's unlikely that you will have the same functionality with a Mac device.  In order to get this done with Windows you'd have to use the Microsoft official ClassGuid identifier.  I don't believe Apple has provided the same type of guidance to allow for more granular device control.

I recommend testing now and trying to block Disk Drives as a phone can appear as a drive.  However, I don't think this will work for Mac devices with iPhones connected.  Again, I highly recommend testing.

If this method doesn't work I recommend putting in a ticket with Support.  They may be able to help you come up with a different method to achieve the same goal.

I hope you find this information helpful.

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!