Custom Signature for Email Headers

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom Signature for Email Headers

L3 Networker

I am trying  to create a custom signature with the purpose of preventing malicious/phishing/spam emails with the firewall before it hits our mail gateway. For the most part we have been successful with this technique but I am struggling with creating a signature to essentially work as a wildcard. If anyone could take a look at my scenario and provide any feedback it would be much appreciated. Below is my example:

Scenairo: we are receiveing unwanted emais from the following email address

scanner@abc.domain.com

scanner@abcd.domain.com

scanner@abcde.domain.com

scanner@aaa.domain.com

scanner@bbb.domain.com

scanner@ccc.domain.com

As you can see the consistent parts of this type email campaign is the scanner@abc.domain.com. I am hoping to come up with a signature using email headers to wildcard the 'abc, abcd,abcda, etc'  as I dont want to be writing individual signatures for each sub domain as this could include upto 15 different representations of 'abc'.

I thought this would work scanner@(.*)(\.domain\.com) but does not appear to be the case.pic.PNGpic.PNGpic.PNG

6 REPLIES 6

L4 Transporter

Good afternoon!

I would try:

scanner@[a-z]+\.domain\.com

This operates under the assumption that the child domain under domain.com consists of any number of the characters a-z.

Thanks rcole. I will give this a shot.

Unfortunately this signature did not work either.

Hi clewis.

I tested this signature in a lab with every variant of the domain you provided, and it triggered in each instance.

Do you have a packet capture of the offending traffic?

I've been using this method for a while successfully...

email-sig.PNG

I think I may be having an issue with decryption which may be casuing the issue. Just getting back around to looking at this one

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!