How to Restore the 'admin' password

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to Restore the 'admin' password

L5 Sessionator

update ver 1.1.9 added a CLI option to restore the password for the WebUI account  - 'admin'

If you need to restore the password to the default password of 'paloalto' the CLI syntax is shown below:

expedition@Expedition:/var/www/html$ php /home/userSpace/utils/restore/restoreAdmin.php

✓ Connected successfully to the database

✓ Admin user found

✓ Admin password restored to:    'paloalto'

expedition@Expedition:/var/www/html$

11 REPLIES 11

L1 Bithead

Hi Sjanita,

I can't use this command to restrore my admin password. Please see below the results when I tried to run the command in expedition:

It doesn't seem that I have utils directory.

expedition@ubuntu1604:/var/www/html$ sudo php /home/userSpace/utils/restore/restoreAdmin.php
Could not open input file: /home/userSpace/utils/restore/restoreAdmin.php

expedition@ubuntu1604:/var/www/html$ cd /home/userSpace/
expedition@ubuntu1604:/home/userSpace$ ls -la
total 36
drwxr-xr-x 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jan 18 04:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jan 18 04:03 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 82 Jan 18 04:32 environmentParameters.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 894 Jan 18 04:32 panReadOrders.log
drwxrw-rw- 3 www-data www-data 4096 Jan 18 04:33 projects
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 70 Jan 18 04:32 .signatureMAC
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 101 Jan 18 04:33 tempEnvironmentParameters.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 654 Jan 18 04:09 userDefinitions.php
-rw-r--r-- 1 www-data www-data 36 Jan 18 04:09 .uuid5
expedition@ubuntu1604:/home/userSpace$

Hi,

I see you do not have the utils folder. Could I ask which version of Expedition are you currently running?

L0 Member

Hello,

Looks like the file has moved. Here is the new location :

Aswell the login might be admin instead of expedition

expedition:~$ php /var/www/html/OS/startup/restore/restoreAdmin.php

✓	Connected successfully to the database
✓	Admin user found
✓	Admin password restored to:    'paloalto'

@adelamarre 

Yes that is correct and you could always locate the file with the "sudo find" command

When I run above command I get following error, am I missing anything?

PHP Warning: mysqli::__construct(): (HY000/2002): No such file or directory in /var/www/html/OS/startup/restore/restoreAdmin.php on line 81
Connection failed: No such file or directory

Try to switch to Root account using $su , then you should be able  to see the file. 

L1 Bithead

Hi there,
I followed the commands and it shows the correct restoration, however credentials not working in the GUI:

expedition@expedition1:~$ sudo php /var/www/html/OS/startup/restore/restoreAdmin.php

✓       Connected successfully to the database
✓       Admin user found
✓       Admin password restored to:    'paloalto'

expedition@expedition1:~$

I tried using admin/paloalto as default credentials but is not working.

I also have powered-off/on with no luck.
Expedition version: 1.2.39
Any suggestions?

EdgarG

@edgutier 

Which version of ubuntu you are running ?  Expedition newer version only runs on ubuntu 20.x please follow the installation guide below:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/expedition-articles/expedition-documentation/ta-p/215619?attach...

Hi, 
My Ubuntu is running 20.04 LTS

EdgarG

I have found the following error:

Aug 30 21:32:41 expedition1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[1346]: Looking for 'mysql' as: /usr/bin/mysql
Aug 30 21:32:41 expedition1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[1346]: Reading datadir from the MariaDB server failed. Got the follow>
Aug 30 21:32:41 expedition1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[1346]: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' >
Aug 30 21:32:41 expedition1 /etc/mysql/debian-start[1346]: FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

EdgarG

• 11 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!