I'm struggling to get a current version of Expedition running

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

I'm struggling to get a current version of Expedition running

L1 Bithead

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

I'd like to do a fresh install and have loaded up a VM with Ubuntu 16.04 and downloaded the latest Expedition installer, and running it doesn't get very far. The install script updates system services and installs things just fine from outside of Palo Alto's apt-get repo. However, Palo Alto's apt-get repo doesn't have a Releases file, and when you work around that, it seems that there's nothing else there either. Check it out.

I have the right repo (and I have run an apt-get update):

root@ubuntu:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ex-repo.list
deb [trusted=yes] https://conversionupdates.paloaltonetworks.com/ expedition-updates/

root@ubuntu:~# apt-get install -y --allow-unauthenticated expedition-beta
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package expedition-beta
root@ubuntu:~#

It looks like the repo is empty maybe? Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hello @tcannon-cancom  I think the correct entry in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ex-repo.list should be 

deb https://conversionupdates.paloaltonetworks.com/ expedition-updates/

That's to get around the lack of a Releases file in the repo. It gets flagged as untrustworthy without that file.

You can see I added another flag to apt-get as well to say to trust it. I didn't need both. Just had ended up with both after trying it each way.

L4 Transporter

Hello @tcannon-cancom 

If you are already manually trusting the repo you should just need to issue the command apt-get install expedition-beta

Can you run that command without the allow unauthenticated and see if you have an issue?

Yes, if I follow the directions as written it tells me there's no Repo file so it skips the entire repo as it deems it untrustworthy.

I've downloaded another user's pre-build OVA which seems to work and it's based on a newer version of Ubuntu, so my problem seems solved. It works with apt-get so I think the OS must have had something to do with it not working.

Thank you!

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!