Installing Expedition on Ubuntu Windows Linux Sub-system

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Installing Expedition on Ubuntu Windows Linux Sub-system

L2 Linker

I enabled the Linux Sub-system in Windows 10, installed Ubuntu, and also was able to install Expedition using the new installation procedure. I wiped it and reinstalled it a few times to understand the installation and noticed a few things. If you don't initially setup Ubuntu with the "expedition" user, the installer will tell you to create that user and re-run it. I wiped it and just installed Ubuntu with the "expedition" user to start to avoid that error.

The installer also failed when I just ran it with "sudo". I went ahead and ran it as "sudo su" which allowed everything to install completely. Also, during the install Windows Account Control would popup to allow services through Windows Defender which I had to allow. After a few tries and making sure the Apache2 and MySQL services were started, I was able to login to the GUI. I think I also had to make sure the rabbit-mq service was running as well. I'm not sure what this service is used for.

The installer never prompted me to enter the MariaDB root password like it says in the installation procedure. If it did, I planned on letting it run any way like the instructions say. The fact that it didn't prompt me and that I seem to be having authentication issues brings me to my issue.

I am able to get Expedition to run and login after making sure the services are running. However, the database settings internal check is failing. The link to resolve it sends me to the ML stuck pending thread. However, I don't think this is my issue. I created a test project, ran a best practice analysis, and noticed that the auto-remediation feature is not working either.

Has anyone else attempted this and maybe could point me in the right direction to get these issues resolved?

Thanks,

Jon

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

For anyone else that may be trying this, I found some additional information about WSL. I'm not a Linux expert but I have a feeling this may have something to do with it. Systemctl commands don't work on WSL because systemd has not been implemented. There may be some dependencies that are missing in WSL for Expedition to work correctly. Thanks for all the help!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54502444/why-systemctl-not-working-in-ubuntu-terminal-on-windows

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L6 Presenter

I am able to reproduce the auto-remediation in BPA does not work, I will open a ticket with the Expedition team.  In terms of the database settings internal check is failing, can you provide a detail error message or screenshot. Thank you!

2020-04-22_14-36-17.png

Here is the error that I'm seeing on the dashboard.

Please try to navigate to Setting -> M.L Learning as shown in the screenshot, remove the IP address and re-enter your expedition IP again, then click on save. 

Same result. I removed it altogether, saved, it defaulted to 127.0.0.1. I added it back and saved it again.

Hello,

Please perform the following commands to resolve it, this will require you to make some edits from within the CLI.

sudo vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf file:

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

That line should be commented out instead, like this:

#bind-address = 127.0.0.1

I believe once you comment out the entry it should resolve your problem.

I commented that line out in my.cnf but I'm still getting the failed check.

Expedition has been built to run on Ubuntu 16.04 and actually some dependencies do not work on Ubuntu 18.04.

We cannot provide guaranties that the tool will work on Windows. I would suggest that you install it on an Ubuntu 16.04 server as documented, as you could run it in VMWare player or VirtualBox, for instance.

Okay, understood. I figured that was the case but wanted to create this thread to see if anyone else has tried it. I used the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS install for Windows Linux. Thanks for all the help!

For anyone else that may be trying this, I found some additional information about WSL. I'm not a Linux expert but I have a feeling this may have something to do with it. Systemctl commands don't work on WSL because systemd has not been implemented. There may be some dependencies that are missing in WSL for Expedition to work correctly. Thanks for all the help!

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54502444/why-systemctl-not-working-in-ubuntu-terminal-on-windows

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!