Migrate FortiGate to Palo Alto NGFW - 2019

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Migrate FortiGate to Palo Alto NGFW - 2019

L0 Member

Hello All,

I wanted to start this new discussion as I am working thru the process of migrating off of an FortiNet Firewall and onto a Palo Alto Firewall and am working with the Palo Alto Expedition Tool.  I am hoping that this discussion can be referenced in the future for others who are going to be tackling a similar project and provide any help/insight that I can along the way.

5 REPLIES 5

L0 Member

For my first question to the community:

I have noticed that when I import the FortiNet configuration into expedition I need to do some clean up and the first thing that I am trying to work thru is an issue where my VPN Tunnels are being imported as an additional external interface.

For example my ISP is connected to wan1 on my fortinet firewall and we have some IPSec VPN Tunnels configured thru the Internet service provider. I noticed that for each IPSec VPN Tunnel the import is creating an additional wan1 interface in expedition and creates a duplicate interface error.  I am not sure how to correctly clean this up inside of expedition without deleting other associations with the wan1 interface.

Has anyone else ran into this/what did you do to resolve or work thru this?

Thank You

Please, contact us at fwmigrate at paloaltonetworks dot com if this issue has not already been taken.

Probably we need to explore the case in the FortiGate parser to handle this.

I'm experiencing a similar problem, in addition to Expedition not converting over the Fortinet/Fortigate NATs and rules, VDOMs and interfaces. There are way too many interfaces, rules, and VDOMs on our Fortigate  to manually enter this in. With any other firewall, such as the ASA or Netscreen/Juniper, this process is seamless 

I'm experiencing the same issue with Achindah. May I know how to solve this?

Hello Kris,

You would want to remap these interfaces within the expedition tool to make this work. What fortinet considers a WAN interface is the interface facing the provider edge, which we could use as a zone interface but for IPSEC tunneling ideally you would use the tunnel interfaces provided within the PAN ( IPSEC set up is here https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000ClGkCAK ) The pass through for these IPSEC VPN's would be your provider edge egress point and you could have multiple VPN's traversing this interface. So if you are going to just migrate over a single VPN from the interface WAN1 you would want remap it into a tunnel interface and the outgoing interface would be the publicly routable IP on an egress interface towards your provider but the tunnel interface will encapsulate the VPN packet across that interface.

• 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!