Running out of drive space

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Running out of drive space

L3 Networker

Recently I have started running out of space in Expedition. I am in the process of requesting more space for the VM but this issue is something that has just started. I have 1 large project that is eating up 12GB of space by itself. There are a ton of rule merges that are happening and I can only do 10 at a time, so every time that happens a new 'undo' file is created around 10MB in size and none of them are getting cleaned up. At the moment there are over 2000 files in this projects backup directory (some of them are file size of 0). What's funny is that I had 2 projects of this size previously and had no drive space issues so something has changed in more recent versions of Expedition. What I also noticed is that the since last time I cleaned up files to create space there has only been about 340MB of new 'undo' files but the available drive space has shrunk by 1GB.

In any case, I need to find a workaround until I can secure more drive space. Should Expedition be cleaning up old 'undo' files? Has something changed or is there an issue in recent Expedition versions? If I need to manually delete 'undo' files is it safe to start deleting the older files? On the same note, in theory could you delete all of the 'undo' files except the most recent and be ok? 

My version of Expedition is 1.1.32.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

L3 Networker

Didn't see any replies yet to this the problem continues to exist with version 1.1.35. I was able to get the hdd space upgraded to 70GB but the project I was working on has already burned through half of space (1 project is using almost 35gb). Clearly something is happening here that did not happen in the past. Any thoughts on what might be wrong.?

Could you check where the filesystem is getting consumed?

As we do not include lots of "expensible" tools within the VM, I normally do a size scan by folder following this approch

Step 1: Get to the filesystem root.

Step2: Check used space by file/folder under current location

Step3: Repeat entering into suspicious folder

Step 4: Return to step2

Below are the commands that I would use for this purpose:

Step1: cd /

Step2: for i in `ls`; do du -hs; done

Step 3: cd tmp

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!