Active Active Setup PA-500

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Active Active Setup PA-500

L0 Member

Hello

Could someone direct me or provide me with instructions on setting up twp PA-500's in an Active Active configuration?

Much appreciated and Thank You

2 REPLIES 2

L5 Sessionator

Hi Ryan,

Please see the link below on how to setup Active Active HA.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1756

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Numan

Hi,

If I understood correctly, PA-500 supports A/A solution per documentation but not Jumbo Frames. would you help me understand how this will work?

In PA documents (https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/pan-os/pan-os/high-availability/configure-active-a...) it mentions under Step 19 that " Enable jumbo frames on firewalls other than PA-7000 Series firewalls.

Switch ports that connect the HA3 link must support jumbo frames to handle the overhead associated with the MAC-in-MAC encapsulation on the HA3 link. "

In the Admin guide of the version 7.1, page 228, step 19 says this: 

####Enable jumbo frames on firewalls other than PA‐7000 Series firewalls. Switch ports that connect the HA3 link must support jumbo frames to handle the overhead associated with the MAC‐in‐MAC encapsulation on the HA3 link. The jumbo frame packet size on the firewall must match the setting on the switch###### 

With that being said,

1.Is A/A solution will work as expected on a pair of PA-500?

2. Are the packets going to have an overhead? If yes how much? 

3.If there is any switch in between the two FWs, should be any consideration on the switch MTU settings?

4.If MTU is larger than 1500 which is the default for PA-500 then what will happen? Is the FW going to fragment the packets?

5.If the fragmentation going to happen, is there going to be any performance concern, or any kind of heart beat settings that needs to be considered on the FWs?

I appreciate your help in advance,

-Shahab

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!