adding a host to cluster where vm-series service is deployed

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

adding a host to cluster where vm-series service is deployed

L0 Member

Will be another vm-series virtual machine deployed when new ESXi host is added to the cluster? Virtual Palo Alto service is deployed on entire cluster basis. Do you know any documentation saying what would happened in this situation?

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

This is kind of VMware question but here you go 🙂

If you add ESXi to VMware cluster then this will provide HA (High Availability).

It basically means that if one host fails then all VM's that ran on this host will power off and are then automatically booted up on other hosts.

If this is not sufficient then you need to enable FT (Fault Tolerance). In this case kind of shadow VM is created on other host and all RAM and CPU cycles are replayed on this shadow VM.

If host dies then other VM takes over  immidiately without any downtime.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

My question was about PA vm-series. I'll give you an example. I've got 3 hosts clustered, than I deployed vm-series (for NSX) on cluster basis (for entire cluster). The result of these deployment is one vm-series VM running on each of 3 hosts. This is working fine but I'm wondering what will happen if after some time I will add fourth host to the same cluster. Will another vm-series VM be deployed automaticaly on this new host or I need to deploy vm-series manually? 

Little late for you but perhaps help someone else...

The answer to your question is: Yes

If you add a Host to a cluster that has a Service Deployment for Palo Alto Networks VM-series firewall, the new Host will have the virtual firewall installed as it's added to the cluster. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!