All incoming TCP connections blocked for 5 minutes at random times.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

All incoming TCP connections blocked for 5 minutes at random times.

L2 Linker

At random times all TCP connections from the Internet are blocked (all ports and all IPs) for incoming traffic only.  Websites, mail servers etc are not accessible from the Internet.  UDP and ICMP are not affected.  What could be causing this?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L2 Linker

Thanks to all who responded.  I was finally able to resolve this problem by by changing zone protection for Untrust from SYN Cookies to Random Early Drop.  

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Sounds like a DoS profile that is setup incorrectly and is blocking the destination address (your public IP) or vulnerability protection profile with the same misconfiguration. The default block-ip timeout is 5 minutes, which lines up with what you are running into.

There are no entries under Policy -> DoS Protection.

Is there another location I can look?

@sharam,

If you had any that's where they would be. What does your Vulnerability Protection profile look like for the security rulebase entries allowing this traffic inbound? That would be the next thing I would look at. 

What I am seeing in logs related to the outage is:

sharam_0-1594047748081.png

But I am not able to see which rulebase this it related to.

@sharam wrote:

What I am seeing in logs related to the outage is:

sharam_0-1594047748081.png

But I am not able to see which rulebase this it related to.

You're showing the detailed log entry.  (You've clicked the magnifying glass next to an entry in the threat log)  To better help point out why this is happening we need to see the main entry.  It looks like this is happening because of a VP profile which is attached to a security policy rule.

threat.PNG

L4 Transporter

zone protection

Thank you for your response @Brandon_Wertz .  This is the main entry of an event that just happened today:

sharam_0-1594061476300.png

Can you please be more specific?  Zone Pro is the first place we looked and changed various config to no effect.

Did you look under Objects -> Security Profiles -> Dos Protection?   Th default block duration is 5 minutes..

@fhewiufhwefhwe there are no entries under Objects -> Security Profiles -> Dos Protection, not even default.

Do you have source address exclusions under Reconnaissance Protection?  You may want to include highly trusted items on your allow list there, such as internal DNS forwarders if you have them.

We don't have this problem with UDP which is what DNS uses.

DNS does use UDP, but can also use TCP over port 53 as well.  Any way if you have site-to-site vpn or something similar, you may want some exclusions to Dos / Zone protections policies.

Thanks @fhewiufhwefhwe but the problem we are facing is that when the TCP outage occurs our thousands of user who are scattered across the Internet world are not able to reach our websites or mail servers.  We don't want the firewall to block the whole Internet.

I should also point out if the subject is not clear that the problem is only with incoming TCP traffic.  Outgoing traffic is not affected.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 21 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!