Allow streaming-media for training sites that use youtube links

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Allow streaming-media for training sites that use youtube links

L0 Member

One of out departments recently purchased access to an online training site that uses youtube to play some of the videos within the courses. We block all streaming-media on our network as a general rule on our PA 3020. I would like to allow access to the vidoes within the training courses without oppening up the rest of youtube to these users. I have seen some people suggesting we allow the specific url of the video which are in the courses but the site has around 200 courses and I dont really want to go through each one and pull the vidoe's URL. Is there a way to allow a certain URL-category based on how you get to it (i.e. users could get to the youtube vidoes from the training course but no if they were to go from youtube directly.)

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

I don't believe the process of how they access the application would matter much if you are blocking the app-id for Youtube. Like others have staded you could whitelist the specific URLs or you could try and see if there is the possibility of creating a custom signature that would be allowed but only having access to the one 'channel' that I'm sure all of these videos are under; I've never created such a signature so I don't know if there would be anything identifiable that you could build the packet on. 

You might be able to allow users access to the specific URL of the training course 'channel' (youtube.com/channel/training) or whatever it is and see if that works. My guess would be no, but it never hurts to try. 

L6 Presenter

@drischar You could probably create a custom application that looks in the HTTP header for a refer to Youtube from the training site.  Use that custom application in a new security rule and that would prevent the need to whitelist.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!