API call to panorama how to register DAG?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

API call to panorama how to register DAG?

L4 Transporter

When registering IP's to Tags on panorama, do you have to specify a target or device-group or serial number in your call?  How does that match/registration actually occur?  Do you have to specify a "location   device-group"  in the call?

<uid-message><version>2.0</version><type>update</type><payload><register><entry ip="10.1.1.3"><tag><member>Test</member></tag></entry></register></payload></uid-message>

Should there be a location/device group  somewhere in this statement if you are using panorama?  Can you actually register dynamic address directly to panorama to distribute to the firewalls, or do you have to designate a serial and go through panorama to a firewall and not ON panorama?

Are you stuck using User-ID redistribution in order to make this work with multiple firewalls?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

DAG and DUG groups are a new thing.

It does not defeat the purpose as I understand why Palo Alto have done this. The user and tag mapping is a dinamic information, this why when you add this mapping with the REST-API or even manually from the GUI/CLI under the dynamic group you don't do any config commit (because it is not a static configuration as I mentioned) and because of this you can't push it from the Panorama with device groups or Templates.

You can add tag to ip/user mapping on the Panorama or special firewall and make it a redistribution point in 9.1 or 10 version and newer and the other firewalls will use their internal Authentication agents to get this information from the redistribution point (panorama or a selected firewall or even a log collector).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

L6 Presenter

Because I am also reserching this, I found out this article https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-1/pan-os-panorama-api/pan-os-xml-api-request-types/apply-... . I think this limitation is because the IP address or user to be part of a dynamic group is something temporary and it does not need or trigger a commit.

When you are sending the User-ID or IP to panorama you add a serial as you mention. In version 10 you can redistribute this information from Panorama to the firewalls but in earlier versions you need to send it to each firewall directly or with serial with Panorama and this is something I posted:

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/general-topics/ip-and-user-tag-mappings-redistribution-for-dag-...

Also in version 9.1 this seems possible but it is not so well described:

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-1/pan-os-new-features/user-id-features/dynamic-user-group...

So in order to use this effectively, on older versions, you have to include a serial  number of the firewall?    That kind of defeats the purpose as the IP never actually get's registered to panorama then does it, it just goes directly to the firewall with the serial you specified?  So with 9.1 you still have to specify a serial?

DAG and DUG groups are a new thing.

It does not defeat the purpose as I understand why Palo Alto have done this. The user and tag mapping is a dinamic information, this why when you add this mapping with the REST-API or even manually from the GUI/CLI under the dynamic group you don't do any config commit (because it is not a static configuration as I mentioned) and because of this you can't push it from the Panorama with device groups or Templates.

You can add tag to ip/user mapping on the Panorama or special firewall and make it a redistribution point in 9.1 or 10 version and newer and the other firewalls will use their internal Authentication agents to get this information from the redistribution point (panorama or a selected firewall or even a log collector).

@nikoolayy1 

Good to know.   Thanks for the replies!  With your info above I was able to find the tags and registrations by enabling User-ID redistribution on panorama and it  automatically pushes the IP to tag registration to the firewalls.  No need for serial or device group designation in the api call.

Thanks. Can you mark my reply as the answer, so that the discussion can be closed?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!