Application vs Service? Specific to traffic being classified as APPs using the same ports

Highlighted
L5 Sessionator

Re: Application vs Service? Specific to traffic being classified as APPs using the same ports

Drew

I believe (respectfully) that you are thinking curl should have been an app-id (or something).

Your original comment was

For instance users were trying to curl www.google.com and the PAN was classifying that as 'google-base' 

cURL is a tool to transfer data from or to a server, and the pattern that was seen was to the host-header of google.com.

Therefore, what the person is doing, is google-base.

If someone wanted to curl to facebook.com,. you would need to allow facebook-base

If someone wanted to curl to yahoo.com, you would need to allow yahoo-base.

Same if someone wanted to curl to your sharepoint site, you would allow sharepoint, probably ssl, and additional app-id defined apps.

I know you understand it, so I am not sure we can answer anymore to the degree you are looking for.

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions
Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Re: Application vs Service? Specific to traffic being classified as APPs using the same ports

Yeah pretty much.  

I think this thread has run its course, thanks everyone for the insight.  

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!