Application vs Services

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application vs Services

L1 Bithead

Hi Team,

I have a couple of questions in application vs services.

1. I have to permit a list of services for a particular traffic. In those list some of them are already in the applications like DNS, IMAP, Pop3 and I need to create some services with custom port. Now do I add these applications and the custom services in the same rule or does it have to be in two different rules ?

2. I need to permit bitdefender/kaspersky antivirus traffic. As per the application it uses only tcp 80/443 as standard port. But I do have a list of services which has custom ports like tcp 7075. Do i need to add as a service or add as an application and give any (instead of application-default) ?

Please advise.

Regards,
Krishnan
11 REPLIES 11

But if you look at the rule which I saw in demo appliance it had ping and other applications with a custom service.

Regards,
Krishnan

ping doesnt need a port, and for ms-rdp probably they are using NAT or even 3389 defined in same TCP4001. as i already mentinied that is how security policy in PA works.

good luck.

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!