Apply QoS for Youtube or Streaming Media

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Apply QoS for Youtube or Streaming Media

L1 Bithead

I'm trying to wrestle down some NetFlix and Twitch users on my network.  Because they're running in a browser, the application match for their traffic is only "SSL".  However, I know that anything headed for nflxvideo.net is NetFlix traffic, for example.

I can't find a way to apply QoS policy based on a wildcard match against the source DNS name.  I don't have a FQND--I have a partially qualified domain name.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

Pat

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L7 Applicator

I noticed something similar this last week.  I'd recommend opening a case with TAC so that this can be tracked and the Netflix AppID updated accordingly.  

Until there's an official resolution, you can create a custom Application called "netflix-streaming-custom" and have your signature do a pattern match for "nflxext" or "nflxvideo" in the "ssl-req-client-hello" context.  That way any SSL traffic to/from domains containing those two patterns will be detected as "netflix-streaming-custom", and from there you'll be able to apply QoS (without having to QoS the entire SSL category).  

Here's a screenshot from the signature portion that worked for me:  

netflix-app.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

L7 Applicator

I noticed something similar this last week.  I'd recommend opening a case with TAC so that this can be tracked and the Netflix AppID updated accordingly.  

Until there's an official resolution, you can create a custom Application called "netflix-streaming-custom" and have your signature do a pattern match for "nflxext" or "nflxvideo" in the "ssl-req-client-hello" context.  That way any SSL traffic to/from domains containing those two patterns will be detected as "netflix-streaming-custom", and from there you'll be able to apply QoS (without having to QoS the entire SSL category).  

Here's a screenshot from the signature portion that worked for me:  

netflix-app.png

Now my users have shifted to running Netflix in a browser *without* SSL.  I don't have a certificate exchange to look at any longer.  Any suggestions for how to get there for just plain old web browsing?

And, yes, the device apparently doesn't recognize NetFlix in a browser on port 80 either...

Thanks!

Patrick

Any idea how they run netflix in a browser without SSL?  Happy to test it out... I just wasn't aware that this was possible.  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!