Benifit of Target Tab in security policy on Panorama.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Benifit of Target Tab in security policy on Panorama.

L2 Linker

Hi Guys. 

Good day!
I would like to know that what is the benifit of target tab on Panorama. 

For eg. 

I create a shared policy. Now I push it to firewalls I choose using device group while commit. 

Now I create shared policy and choose target (never done it). Do I need to commit on device group than?

What will happen if I commit on all devices but choose target as few?

Can anyone help me with this. 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

These topics are covered in the Panorama admin guide.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/panorama/panorama_adminguide

Commit Panorama makes the changes active on the the mgmt system

commit device groups pushes the changes that are in Panorama to the devices or the group selected

These are the options to actually do the changes on the devices.  As opposed to configuring the policy for where it will apply.

Steve Puluka BSEET - IP Architect - DQE Communications (Metro Ethernet/ISP)
ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L7 Applicator

Target is a way to have a particular rule only apply to some of the group members and not others.  This is a way to keep rules in Panorama that might otherwise need to be created as local rules on just some firewalls inside the group.

ACE PanOS 6; ACE PanOS 7; ASE 3.0; PSE 7.0 Foundations & Associate in Platform; Cyber Security; Data Center

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry if i am asking again. Does it differ from a commit on certain device group. If anyone has link for me to study on this it will be great. 

These topics are covered in the Panorama admin guide.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/71/panorama/panorama_adminguide

Commit Panorama makes the changes active on the the mgmt system

commit device groups pushes the changes that are in Panorama to the devices or the group selected

These are the options to actually do the changes on the devices.  As opposed to configuring the policy for where it will apply.

Finally understood it. You are awesome. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!