Best 3rd party VPN Client?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best 3rd party VPN Client?

L3 Networker

Ive got some power users demanding a different VPN client than GlobalProtect.

Has anyone setup a 3rd party VPN client (preferrably Windows built-in or something GPL'ed)? Did it 'just work' or did you have to tweek it a bit?

I tried windows 7 built in with no luck.

Im running PA 4020 on 4.1.7

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

Haven't found one yet, but my users would definitely be interested as well.

L4 Transporter

Apparently (I haven't tried it) the Cisco VPN client works - which means the ShrewSoft VPN client should also.

There may be some config tweaks on the firewall required to make the Cisco client work.

You *can* make it work on Linux using VPNC - see the following for informatinon on how to do it

http://http://blog.davidvassallo.me/2012/11/22/connecting-to-a-palo-alto-network-globalprotect-gatew...

I have to admit, I now have the urge to try ShrewSoft and see if it does work. That was always way better than the Cisco VPN client when I was in the dark ages and using ASA's.

I have made it work for our linux users with vpnc, using the xauth and users do report the frequent disconnects. I was hoping that there was something else for our mac & windows users who have issues with the global protect client. They tend to be a little less hands on and forgiving of disconnects than our linux users. I'll take a look at the ShrewSoft VPN client and see if that would work for us.

Thanks for the pointer there.

L1 Bithead

Hi,

one of the best vpn clients I worked with is the  NCP Secure Client.

The software is FIPS 140-2 certified, uses IPsec standard, has rich dialer functionality and available for all platforms.(WIN/MAC/Android/WinMobile).

It's not GPL'ed but you can use a 30 days test licences.

IPsec VPN Client for Windows 32/64 bit, Android, OS X, Windows Mobile- NCP

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!