Best CPU allocation for VM-100

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best CPU allocation for VM-100

Not applicable

Hi,

Say I have a KVM VM-100 (using SR-IOV) that I want to push 100Mbps of internet traffic through it, say you have 8 physical cores and for this VM-100 you choose to allocate 2400Mhz to it's VM, is it best to reserve:

2 cores at 1200Mhz

3 cores at 800Mhz

4 cores at 600Mhz

Or just setup X cores with no reservation and let the hypervisor adjust based on the load on the CPU from other VMs.

The aim is to give a consistent performance to the VM-100 and to limit any additional latency caused by a busy CPU.

So are cores more important than Mhz, I was thinking that because you probably have significant latency caused by AppID on virtual hardware, more cores might allow more AppID detections to take place?

Cheers

Richard

4 REPLIES 4

L6 Presenter

Hi Richard,

Following thread will be useful. 8 cores should be good.

Re: PAN VM series throughput

What I recommend is "more is better".

Let me know if you have more specific query.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Hardik,

Have you tested it, the thread talks about 10Gbps, I am looking for less than 100Mbps?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

100 MBps will work with default settings of any VM deployment, I have configured 100s of VMs, but never did stress testing.

I would suggest to go with minimum default values, if you observe any issue with throughput than add more hardware.

Regards,

Hardik Shah

Thanks, I don't plan to add hardware later, I am basically looking for information on cores versus Mhz for low throughput (100Mb/sec) / high application count (internet gateway).

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!