Best Practices for acquisition

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Best Practices for acquisition

L3 Networker

Hi Guys,

Our company has recently made several acquisitions. All of them have non-palo alto firewalls. We will be migrating each of non-palo firewalls to our palos.

Now, for migrating the rules, we are using expedition. 

But, some of them have overlapping IP addressing. We are planning to resolve that problem with NAT.

But wanted to ask here: Is there any best practice documentation from Palo on how to handle mergers and acquisitions?

Would be helpful.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rjdahav163,

I've never seen anything like what you are asking for, and I would honestly be pretty shocked if such a document actually exists. You need to figure out what their current networks look like and what the acquisitions requirements are, and only then can you actually build a proper network design surrounding those requirements. There's not really a cookie cutter way of how to deal with that. 

@BPry 

Agree with you 100%. There cannot be a cookie cutter way. Each acquisition is different.

However, would be good if there are any recommendations about overlapping IP subnets. Currently we have 2 acquisitions with same overlapping IP subnets as our internal networks. I know NATting is the way to go about it but would be nice if there is any documentation about the finer details . Let me know if you are aware of anything.

Thanks!

Hello,

Depending on the size of the other networks, perhaps changing the IP subnets that the 'smallest' one is using? I know it sounds daunting, but with DHCP and planning it can be quit easy (yep had to do this a few times in the past).

Good luck.

L4 Transporter

Would prisma access be a solution for something like this?

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!