BGP RIB out and Local RIB

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

BGP RIB out and Local RIB

L0 Member

Can someone explain me the difference between RIB out tab and Local RIB in BGP.

What is contained in RIB out and  Local RIb?

Also what is pupose of Import and Export tab in BGP

Appreciate your help.

-Rajaram.

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @rajaram401

What is contained in RIB out and  Local RIb?

In the routing process, connections are established between BGP peers (or neighbors). If a route is permitted by the policy, it is stored in the routing information base (RIB). Each time the local firewall RIB is updated, the firewall determines the optimal routes and sends an update to the external RIB, if export is enabled.

What is pupose of Import and Export tab in BGP?

The import/export rules are used to import/export routes from/to other routers. For example, importing the default route from your Internet Service Provider.

I hope this helps.

So your explanation helps but I'm still fighting my way through my first BGP config, and I am learning BGP routes via two different eBGP peers (in different ASs) and I see those routes in my  local RIB of router C. From those two eBGP speakers (router A & B); I appear to install routes in RIB out and see them in Router D for routes learned from router A, but I do not see in my RIB Out and routes from router B (which coincidentally is the only router announcing public addresses). 

I do not have a Redistribute Profile (as I'm just routing between eBGB peers so I don't think I need one). For my Import, I'm importing a default route announced by router D and that works. I've trying creating an Export Rule to Router D, where the export rule is enabled, Match is undefined and Action is to Allow. However, those routes learned from Router B (public addresses) and are in Router C's local RIB are not in the RIB out (and are never seen in router D).

Admittedly, I'm totally confused whether Export/Import is needed in a particular router for simply propagating routes from one BGP speaker to another through.

Any clarity anyone could provide to me, well, would be amazing...Thanks!!!

Mike

Where does the PA fit in with all those routers?

I would recommend that you always have import and export filters, on routers or the PA. I always want to make sure I have control of route propagation on routers and firewalls instead of trusting others to do things correctly.

Yeah, my use of the term "router" was very poor- all four are PANs. I believe my issue was that I didn't have all the routes included in my Redistribute Rules or Redistribute Profile. I guess I'm still confused as to what the difference is. However, I've been enlightened to think of the Export and Import tabs as Cisco's Route Maps...

Thanks for piping in....

Mike

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!