block files with multiple level of compression

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

block files with multiple level of compression

L1 Bithead

I want to block all kind of compressed files with more than the support 2 levels of compressions. Is this possible?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

PAN performs a maximum of 2 levels of decompression

IPS Scanning of Compressed Files

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

L6 Presenter

You mean like an arj within a rar within a zip?

L3 Networker

PAN performs a maximum of 2 levels of decompression

IPS Scanning of Compressed Files

L1 Bithead

I know that the pa supports only 2 levels. My question was: Can i block files with more than 2 levels? In a test scenario, a exe file within a multiple zip file was not sent to wildfire.

L1 Bithead

Manually unpacking the file und uploading the exe to wildfire revealed a 0day infected file.

L5 Sessionator

Be uploaded to wildfire only PE files. if more than 2 level of compression, file is seen as zip then no PE then no wildfire 🙂

In my mind not able to block file with more than two level of compression.

V.

Hello,

You cannot block files with more than 2 levels of compression today.  If you would like this functionality, please contact your SE to submit a feature request.

Thanks,

Doris

So, I just did a test by FTPing a malicious .exe file that was compressed inside of a .ZIP. My Data Filtering log shows the action for the .PE file within the .ZIP as "forward" however, I did not receive anything from the Wildfire Cloud. Also, the Wildfire Portal has no entry for this file being uploaded.

Any insight as to why Wildfire did not receive the file that had the "forward" action?

Thanks,

Jeff

We have seen the same issue... files that are apparently "forwarded" to WildFire never show up as malicious, even files that we know are malicious.

We have asked Palo Alto for a test .exe that we can send across the network and will always flag as malicious... another malware appliance we have does this exact thing (similar to the EICAR antivirus file you can test AV solutions with)

What I do to get malicious files to test with Wildfire, is go to malc0de.com, go to the Tools menu and then click on "Search Malc0de Database". Then I type in .exe in the search window. This will pull up a list of files that are either malicious or at benign but, will actually trigger Wildfire actions on the PANW. I download that files to my Macbook so, they will not infect my machine.  So far, so good for exercising Wildfire actions and the portal.

Thanks for the tip! We actually had people from PA here yesterday and they weren't aware of your method

I can't take full credit, I actually learned about malc0de.com from our local PAN SE. 🙂  I hope it works out for you.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!