block the tiktok application

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

block the tiktok application

L4 Transporter

Dears,

I want to block tiktok traffic in my environment. i observe in the traffic logs the firewall is not detecting the tiktok application traffic even i applied SSL forward decryption also the firewall is detecting application as a SSL and web browsing.

For this I block the tiktok application but still users are able to access tiktok.

Is there any way to block this?

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jafar_Hussain,

Does TikTok actually not use certificate pinning on mobile devices, that's kind of surprising if true. Generally speaking mobile apps like to use cert pinning and you can't actually decrypt the traffic. I would verify via your logs that the proxy flag is actually getting set, and that the traffic is actually getting decrypted as you would expect.

Since TikTok is popular I would open a case with TAC, as you'll likely see pretty quick movement on getting the app-id signature updated if it isn't catching traffic properly. In the mean time, you should still be able to identify TikTok domains via URL filtering logs, and at least get the app into an unusable state by blocking specific TikTok domains that you're able to identify. Last I had to look at this they used tiktokcdn.com pretty heavily and you could pretty much break the app by just blocking that domain.

View solution in original post

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jafar_Hussain 

I am able to block Tiktok via application tiktok without decrypting the traffic.

Regards

Mahesh

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jafar_Hussain,

Does TikTok actually not use certificate pinning on mobile devices, that's kind of surprising if true. Generally speaking mobile apps like to use cert pinning and you can't actually decrypt the traffic. I would verify via your logs that the proxy flag is actually getting set, and that the traffic is actually getting decrypted as you would expect.

Since TikTok is popular I would open a case with TAC, as you'll likely see pretty quick movement on getting the app-id signature updated if it isn't catching traffic properly. In the mean time, you should still be able to identify TikTok domains via URL filtering logs, and at least get the app into an unusable state by blocking specific TikTok domains that you're able to identify. Last I had to look at this they used tiktokcdn.com pretty heavily and you could pretty much break the app by just blocking that domain.

@BPry 

Thanks for the reply.

Issue is resolved now. i blocked the tiktok by the custom URL category.

Hello can you explain me a little more on how you resolved this. I tried adding the url with wildcards to a blocklist and still shows the page. 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Jafar_Hussain 

I am able to block Tiktok via application tiktok without decrypting the traffic.

Regards

Mahesh

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L0 Member

Added a custom category rule "name_blocked_URLs" added *.tiktok.com/. Under my filter I have it set to block. With so many apps now days using different app resources I didn't do application because there could be other apps using it as a dependency. It really all depends on what apps are doing. Hope this helps. 

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!