Block YouTube/Instagram Mobile app

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block YouTube/Instagram Mobile app

L1 Bithead

Hello There,

What is the best practice to block YouTube, Instagram for mobile apps? So far I tried to create an application base and custom URL policy  to deny YouTube, Instagram. It works (deny access)  if you access the site via HTTPS (Chrome, Firefox), but it won't work if I access YouTube, Instagram on mobile app.

Thank you in advance  

5 REPLIES 5

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @KurdTech ,

If you want to block it on any kind system, web-browser and/or mobile apps, blocking it using only Custom URL category  should work.

Also before modifying anything, could you please check if mobile endpoint's traffic is matching the desired security policy.

M

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@KurdTech,

Mobile applications generally don't handle decryption well, so I'm going to assume that you are not decrypting traffic. You're going to need to filter on a specific test client and make sure that you're fully logging traffic for that client. Then you can create a custom URL category for the domains that you're actually seeing the client app hit when they are using the mobile app.

Mobile applications in general honestly don't interact with the normal domains you would expect, simply because they aren't seen by the user at all. So you'll generally need to have a completely different set of URLs than you would for normal site browsing if you want to block the mobile app. 

Thank you for reply.

I can see the host (mobile phone) traffic denied over HTTPS (Chrome) while mobile YouTube app not showing or i couldn't recognize except the quic. However, i add QUIC to denied  application policy it seems like YouTube mobile app surfing was extremely slow.

Before adding quic i had used the custom URL filtering as below, but that didn't work for me. Not sure what did i miss

www.youtube.com

www.m.youtube.com

www.*youtube.com

https://youtube.com

https://m.youtube.com

https://*youtube.com

Hello Bpry,

Thank you for reply. 

That's correct i do not use traffic decryption. Also, i looked at the log for the client i do see the application show as youtube-base and url m.youtube.com, www.youtube.com.  i added the same other URL i captured on log s.youtube.com, i.ytiming.com.  i still can access the youtube on the phone app.  however when i include the quic in the application the youtube mobile app is extremely slow (unusable).

Hi @KurdTech ,

Could you try by adding one more entry under custom URL category i.e. *.youtube.com  ?

M
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!