Can Panorama Virtual Appliance be Vmotioned?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can Panorama Virtual Appliance be Vmotioned?

L0 Member

Does Panorama support vmotion?  I know the virtual firewall does not but the documentation makes no mention of Panorama.

8 REPLIES 8

L1 Bithead

Hello

VMotion is not supported on Panorama. The best method for HA is to deploy an additional VM in a different ESXi host. 

Hi, can we have an update on support vMotion support position for Panorama as support was brought in for 9.1.6 released 11/04/2020 in that version (for firewall at least) as per https://docs-new.paloaltonetworks.com/vm-series/9-1/vm-series-deployment/set-up-a-vm-series-firewall...

Here is an update two years later.

Vmotion is supported  for cold migration when powered down with live(hot/enhanced) vmotion it is not supported as the Panorama process could miss heartbeats during vmotion causing processes to fail and kernel crash.

Is the existing Licence valid once vmotioned? i.e. does the CPUID not change and is it tied to the licence?

Thanks!

CPU ID doesn't change for any vm when vmotioned.  The cluster if different host types should be set to the same CPU features across the cluster and i've never seen an occurrence of ID changing (check EVC https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1005764#What_is_EVC)

Thanks for the reply & link Tom-Lee. Going in blind on this, so just wanted to make sure wouldn't have any issue vmotioning Panorama.

You won't if its shut down, otherwise as @hfregoso says it will miss heartbeat and hang.  Also note that license is tied to serial number for panorama which doesn't change even if CPU does unlike VM-Series where SN is generated when you activate and is tied to CPU/GUID

L0 Member

Hfregoso,

Did you get an official document from Paloalto saying Cold vMotion is supported? or is this something you have tried personally?
We are in the process of decommissioning data center and we need to move Panoroma.
So far I have not found any official document supporting cold vMotion. 

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!