Can the PAN device block HTTP Dos Attacks?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can the PAN device block HTTP Dos Attacks?

Not applicable

Hello Guys,

I'm going to do some service availability test in the near future. We can't get any information of the attack pattern. The only information we know is that the tester will conduct these attack.

• HTTP CC(cache-control) attack
  • Slowloris attack
  • Http post attack
  • Http Hash dos attack

I'm afraid that those attack patterns seem to be normal for the PAN device (It's like brute force attack, working base on the threshold value)

I've heard that the best way to block these kinds of attacks is the setting server's timeout value or  threshold value.

But I have to find out some way to do this job with PAN.

Can we block those attack with IPS Dos Signature or Custom Signature?  If we can, does anyone know how set-up to the custom signature for those attacks?

Regards,

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi hjlee.

You can make a custom signature easily using as below info

스크린샷 2013-06-27 11.24.41 AM.png

But It's not important thing in real world because 7.7 DDOS attack of Korea was not related certainly above and HTTP Get flooding and UDP flooding that made it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Roh

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

L4 Transporter

Hi

you can found explanation for DOS protection by paloalto with this doc https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-5078

but there is no information in this doc about HTTP DDOS.

I'm interresting in hhtp ddos too

http ddos could be limited by rate limiting

L5 Sessionator

Ref : Resources Protection Page : 38 and

Appendix 😧 Slow HTTP Test Output

Not applicable

I think these attacks can exhaust server resource with normal Http transaction, and before the the server reaches its max concurrent connection limits, its resource worn out ..

And PA's Dos Protection uses Layer 3~4 information, those attacks are based on Layer 7 information (Http get, post value etc...). In my opinion I should be able to set up Http get method threshold.

You right about get flood,  but when a get request is sent you sent a tcp request and it 's why if you implement rate limiting you minimize the impact of this kind of attack

see how to implement QOS

I've found one IPS signatures which can block HTTP Slowloris attack.. :smileygrin:

Attack NameHTTP: Apache Denial Of Service Attempt
DescriptionThis event indicates that someone want to exhaust the apache resources, as described by slowloris.
Threat ID40018
Referenceshttps://threatvault.paloaltonetworks.com/Home/ThreatDetail/40018
Severityhigh
Categorybrute-force

good to know!!

I think it's not exact for your case. HTTP: Apache DOS signature that triggered only 40 times in 60 second and only Apache related case. In my case I created a Custom Signature for HTTP post, CC that blocked in security rule while having BMT.

Dear My Lovely Roh..

Can you send me the custom signature information that you used for the BMT? :smileygrin:

Thanks ahead..

Hi hjlee.

You can make a custom signature easily using as below info

스크린샷 2013-06-27 11.24.41 AM.png

But It's not important thing in real world because 7.7 DDOS attack of Korea was not related certainly above and HTTP Get flooding and UDP flooding that made it.

Thanks.

Regards,

Roh

Thanks Roh,

I love You. :smileygrin:

L6 Presenter

FYI, if you want the threat signature to trigger by a threshold value (i.e 30 hits in 10 sec), you can use the signature type=combination and define its time attribute.  Thanks.

CC Attack means Challenge Collapsar Response attack. In south Korea we call this 'Cache-control attack' .

To make combination signature we need basic signature.

This is my custom signature 41023 which block cache control message based on threshold value.

cc2.png

So far I couldn't find any signature for Challenge Collapsar.

So I made custom signature for this attack.

ccc1.png

I used my custom signature 41111 to make custom signature 41023 (combination signature working on threshold value).

As you might know, the problem is signature 41111 work before 41023..

you guys have any solutions??

Regards

This is an old issue but we still don't have signature for CC right now. Actually you shoud set the action of 41111 to allow, then 41023 can be triggered when threshold been reached.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 14 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!