Can you set policy based forwarding in a virtual wire deployment?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can you set policy based forwarding in a virtual wire deployment?

L2 Linker

I have our PA firewall set in virtual wire deployment. Can i set PBF's so I can do things like route things like audio-streaming to a cable modem that we have attached to the firewall? I've tried and when trying to set the zone/interface it doesn't list the vwire interfaces as options.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes you are right. Please follow below mentioned documents for more in details.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3220

Thanks

Subhankar

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L3 Networker

PBF is source based routing where the traditional routing is destination based. When routing is involved and you need Layer 3 interfaces.

You cannot deploy pbf in v-wire.

L7 Applicator

Hi,

Normally, when traffic enters the firewall, the ingress interface virtual router dictates the route that determines the outgoing interface and destination security zone based on destination IP address. With policy-based forwarding (PBF), you can specify other information to determine the outgoing interface, including source and destination IP addresses, source and destination ports, and user ID.

But, in your case, once you will deploy virtual wire into PA firewall, there are no more routing involves into it. In virtual mode PA firewall acts as a "transparent device" and can not implement PBF into it.

Thanks

Subhankar

Ok, so I need to set two other interfaces as layer 3, probably to the default virtual router. For that I'll need to assign two IP addresses to it, one for each interface. Will this interfere with normal traffic going to the default gateway router?

Hi,

Yes you are right. Please follow below mentioned documents for more in details.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-3220

Thanks

Subhankar

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!