Cannot block theoxymoron.xyz

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Cannot block theoxymoron.xyz

L1 Bithead

Hello, I have been trying to block the site theoxymoron.xyz but can not get it to block.  I have tried URL filtering with many different versions of the URL as well as blocking the IP addresses for the site, neither of which worked for me.  We do not use decryption.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

L6 Presenter

How exactly are you attempting to block? Does the Security Policy the traffic is going thru have a URL Filter policy attached? Have you created a custom URL Category? What format did you put the entries into the URL Category? When blocking by IP, did you put the IP in a URL category or create a separate Security Policy?

Sorry for so many questions, but there are at least a half dozen different ways to filter/block sites depending on how your firewall is configured...

No worries about all the questions.  I have a url filter policy attached to one security policy and then a different security policy to deny the IPs.  Here are some of the different ways I tried to input the URL to block it:

theoxymoron.xyz

https://theoxymoron.xyz

*.theoxymoron.xyz

there were more, but I cant remember everything I tried.

Thanks

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Why not block the category?

OtakarKlier_0-1667424781111.png

Just a thought.

Regards,

Yeah, we already had that category blocked, but that site was listed as arts and entertainment until about an hour ago.  I submitted the request to change it and it went through, now its coming up blocked.  Thanks for your help guys!

L6 Presenter

So... as I said, there are many ways to do this. But if you are using a Security Policy with a URL Filter policy attached, do something like this. First you should have an existing Security Policy for your general internet bound traffic. You may want to use the "Test Policy Match" tool at the bottom of the Security Policy page to verify the traffic is actually using the intended policy. The URL Filter must also be something other than "default" as you can not change the default filter categories.

Policies->Security

name=Internet Access

SrcZone=Trust

SrcAddr=CorpInternalIPs

DstZone=Untrust

DstAddr=any

Application=any

Service=any

Action=Allow

Profile Settings->URL Filtering=CorpURLFilter

Then create a custom URL Category for all domains you want to block (regardless of their other automatic categorization). The entries should only be the FQDN and possibly a URL path (path will only work if you are doing SSL decryption). Without encryption it can be a bit trickier as you only have the SNI to work off of. The entries should be terminated with a slash or other delimitator to ensure variable expansion doesn't match to unintended paths (see https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u000000oM79CAE&lang=en_US%E2%80%A...). Be sure to add both the root and wildcarded server names as the wildcard will not capture the root by itself. Don't put http/https specific resource indicators:

Objects->Custom Objects->URL Category

name=Corp-Block

sites=

theoxymoron.xyz/

*.theoxymoron.xyz/

Now in your URL Filtering policy you should see your custom URL Category. Set the Site Access to "block":

Objects->Security Profiles->URL Filtering

name=CorpURLFilter

Category=

ᐁ Custom URL Categories:

Corp-Block=block,block

ᐁ Predefined Categories

... whatever your corporate URL categories filtering policies are...

Your Custom URL Category will override the Predefined Categories settings for anything matching your CorpBlock.

Alternatively, you can block based solely on IP address. This can be a bit more troublesome as, depending on the hosting, the website may be hosted on more IPs than the PA can track, using fast-flux DNS, may use many FQDN names, or using multiple redirects. This only works when you know the specific FQDN, unfortunately there isn't a way to wildcard address objects. Start by creating some address objects to block:

Objects->Addresses

name=theoxymoron-xyz

type->FQDN=theoxymoron.xyz

name=www-theoxymoron-xyz

type->FQDN=www.theoxmoron.xyz

Now create a new internet-bound rule for the specific destination IPs you want to block. You don't need a URL filtering policy or other attributes on this as you will just be blocking:

Policies->Security

name=Internet-BlockDestinations

SrcZone=Trust

SrcAddr=CorpInternalIPs

DstZone=Untrust

DstAddr=theoxymoron-xzy,www-theoxymoron-xyz

Application=any

Service=any

Action=Block

Depending on how you have your firewall setup, and your security posture, you may want to use one or another path. I use both of the above methods (and other methods) for various categories of blocking, FQDN/domain based URL Filter based on URL-root names for general websites, Security Policy general blacklists for various other IPs and networks that should never have any traffic http/https or otherwise.

L6 Presenter

Yep... I tested the PA category a little bit ago, as I first started typing my above reply, and saw it as Arts&Entertainment as well. Showing up as Proxy Avoidance now here too.

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!