Cannot get DMZ access to work

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cannot get DMZ access to work

Not applicable

I have a PA 500, running 4.0.5 and I have two zones that are 'special' : PCI and DMZ. Both are setup identically but only one works. Here is how it is:

Zones: Rest1 (Tunnel.1), DMZ (1/8), External (1/1, 1/7), Internal (1/1, tunnel, Tunnel.2), PCI (1/6) and WiFi (1/4). Both Trust and Untrust show up but only as Virtual-Wire, no zones or VS.

VR1: Has a static route for for DMZ of 172.16.60.0/24 to Int 1/8, no next hop (PCI is setup same except for 1/6 and 172.16.50.0/24)

PCI and DMZ are both setup with an Interface: 172.16.50.254 (PCI) on 1/6 and 172.16.60.254 (DMZ) on 1/8. These IP addresses are used as the GW in the TCP/IP setup.

Both interfaces HAD a switch connected to them and devices connected via the switch. The switch uses vLAN to seperate the zones. I have disconncted the switch on the DMZ port and directly connected a test machine to port 1/8.

There is a rule that allows Internal Zone to go EVERYWHERE.

There WERE rules that allowed the DMZ to EXTERNAL (worked) and the DMZ to Internal (did not work) and were COPIED form existing rules that that were, and are, working on the PCI zone. I have ripped these out and am working on replacing from scratch.

On the core switch, a route sends all unknown traffic to the Palo Alto 1/1. Normally the core switch has a connection to the relevant interface (1/6 for PCI and 1/8 for DMZ) and uses vLAN tagging.Since the interface is the def GW, I don't think core routing is an issue but listed nonetheless.

As setup, with no rules with the DMZ at all I can hit and RDP to the test box. The test box can be ocntrolled and pinged form INTERNAL but cannot ping nor get out from DMZ (as presently configured); when I had the rules in place I could ping 4.2.2.2 but not local devices (such as teh computer controling it by RDP).

I had taken all the DMZ rules and placed them at the top of the rules list but it made no difference.

Any ideas what oculd be the proble, or how to either fix or troubleshoot? I'm going to try building the rules again from scrtach and hope it was something malformed or fat-fingered. of course, that is what I did earlier today, anyway.

Any suggestions or help most welcome.

7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable

I'm continuing to be very confused. When I had a rule in place allowing DMZ to internal traffic, I saw traffic and the logs showed it as allowed even if the pings failed.

I have since ripped out those rules and am still pinging. The pings are not going through but they are not showing up in the traffic logs as denied either. My RDP to it IS showing up.

/gun to head

Hi...I recommend checking the routing table for VR1.  You only mentioned static routes to DMZ & PCI but not other routes.  You should not need these static routes since they are directly connected to the PAN firewall.

I assume you have default 0.0.0.0/0 route to EXTERNAL?  Do you have a static route 172.16.0.0/16 with thew core switch as the next-hop?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: rmonvon

I hope you mean shouldNT?

Since directly attached networks wont need routing.

Actually solved it and for those that follow, here is how:

We have a policy based route that sent everything form our desktop vLAN that was not directed to internal addresses out one of the ISPs. unfortunately when that was setup, the DMZ addresses were not defined and not included. So when I pinged into the DMZ, it sent it out to the internet. Once I updated the PBF section with the DMZ subnet, it started working (I would add 'as designed' but it was working as designed, I just had poorly designed it).

The funny thing was I called PA Support and they correctly diagnosed it as routing issue... but said it had to be a routing issue elsewhere as nothing on the Palo could be causing this. So points for identifyingthe issue, minus points for sluffing if off onto another device.

points for identifyingthe issue, minus points for sluffing if off onto another device. - LOL :smileylaugh:

Well actually if your ISP would have a route back to your PAN for your DMZ... would it work or would it end up with a routing loop?

ok, more in depth explanation:

We have two ISPs. Both are in use, one primarily serves teh serves and the others the users.

We have two extrenal VPN addresses as well, once on each ISP.

My route pushes everything out ISP A.

My PBF sends everything but servers AND MY DESKTOP through ISP B. The PBF listed destination netwroks and then NEGATED them (so basically if its for those networks, do not route out, otehrwise, do so).

When I would ping from my desktop it would go through (I never tested from another desktop). It would ping back. It would not ping the servers. It would not ping the management vLAN.

When I finally did a tracert from my core switch, it went to the firewall interface and then to next hop on ISP B. Upon inspection, the negated addresses in the PBF did not have a DMZ subnet listed. So I created it, included it in the PBF and it started working.

I suppose the ISP would try and route it back in but rules owuldn;t let it as setup. I guess if they did up;d get a loop.

• 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!