Cannot Ping Default Gateway

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cannot Ping Default Gateway

L1 Bithead

Hi Team,

I am trying to set up a lab. I have configured PA and set up a client machine. But I have configured client machine and provided the IP address in the same subnet as one of PA's interface. Even after doing so, I am not able to ping default gateway which is set to one of PA's interface. Can somebody help ???????

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@SudhirK,

Just to verify though, you actually have a management profile on that interface and it's set to allow ping from 10.1.1.25? If you haven't setup this management profile the PA interface isn't going to respond to a ping request. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@SudhirK,

I'm going to take a guess that you haven't configured the interface with a management profile, and therefore ping requests aren't going to recieve a reply; or you've configured a management profile and you don't have the host you are tying to ping from as a permitted IP address. 

I have somewhat of a similar problem on a VM installation. Can you help please

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/General-Topics/PA-VM-6-1-0-Routing-issues/m-p/217068#M62814

Hello,

I would suggest what @BPry stated, check for management interface profiles that allow ping also security policies that allow ping from the subnets you are sourcing from. 

You could attempt a source ping from your external interface, ping source <external IP of your PAN> host 8.8.8.8

Regards,

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply but my issue is not with PA but with Client machine which is connected to PA.

I have configured PA as below.

PA interface VMware workstation    PA IP add                                            Zone

mgmt                 Bridged                                 192.168.0.122/24                       

1/1                      Bridged                                 192.168.0.250/24                          out

1/2                      vmnet 1                                10.1.1.250/24                                   in

1/3                      vmnet2                                 10.2.2.250/2                                      dmz

Ihave connected a client pc in  vmnet1 and configured with ip 10.1.1.25 . Now i am trying to ping gateway which should be 10.1.1.250, but i am not able to ping..

@SudhirK,

Just to verify though, you actually have a management profile on that interface and it's set to allow ping from 10.1.1.25? If you haven't setup this management profile the PA interface isn't going to respond to a ping request. 

Make sure your distributed switch associated to the firewall interface is the same as your host VM. They are directly connected no need to have a route. Do not forget to add your interface profile to allow ping. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!