Changing palo alto from a/a to a/p

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Changing palo alto from a/a to a/p

L0 Member

Hello, I need to change 2 palo alto from active/active to active/passive. Is there any guide or something that I can follow or understand what's need to be change.

I already have changed but lost connection on my globalprotect, I can connect but looks like I don't have any connection internaly. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @hpitta ,

Did you configure the active/active HA or did someone else?  You need to remove any A/A use case configuration (floating IP addresses, ARP load sharing, etc.).  https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/9-1/pan-os-admin/high-availability/set-up-activeactive-ha/d...

The cool thing about A/P HA is that the configuration is the same as a single NGFW.  All that is needed is a single IP address per interface.

When you make a change of this scope, you need to be ready to clear the ARP tables of your connected L3 devices just like you were replacing a firewall.  If your IP addresses have changed, you need to change your routing configuration on connected devices.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

Hello, thank you for your fast reply!

It was not me that have configured HA, I think this could be my main problem, but the work have to be done.

When I have my firewalls in A/A I can without problems connect to my globalprotect vpn and access all my internal machines and go to the internet. But when I change to A/P and make commit I receive an error with
"Validation Error:

(network -> tunnel -> global-protect-gateway -> GP_GW-N -> local-address -> floating-ip -> ipv4 '' is not a valid reference"

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @hpitta ,

Thanks for the info.  Notice the "floating-ip" in the error message.  I mentioned floating IP addresses in my 1st post.  Open the gateway configuration and change the selection to the IP address on the interface.  That will fix the error above.  You probably will get many more errors.

This is a complicated process, and I cannot walk you through every change.  Please open a TAC case if you need more in-depth help.  If you want to do it on your own, you will need to familiarize yourself with the (1) use case configurations, (2) routing changes, and (3) ARP behavior, and be ready to make changes on the NGFW and connected network devices.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!