Configuring an ON-SITE-SPARE

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring an ON-SITE-SPARE

L2 Linker

Dear techs,

Can any one give me some rough idea on how to configure a PA OSS unit?

I have a PA 3020 unit in live infra. Recently bought another 3020 unit. The idea is to replicate all the configurations and settings from live to the OSS unit and keep the same offline.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 

12 REPLIES 12

I am not sure on the below. I have never tried to import the device state to the OSS unit as I was afraid that having the same configuration on 2 devices might have some impact on the network. I don't have a test network as well, so I didn't tried. So, far I am just backing up all the device backups on a monthly basis. What I know is that during that a device failure, we will need the PA support assistance in transferring the current PA licenses to the OSS unit.

Did you give a try in downloading and import the Threat license from the palo alto customer portal? If not, just give a try.

Try the below methods to download the same.

1. login to customer support

2. Go to assets

3. Select devices

4. Download the Threat Prevention License

I think the OSS should also have all the latest dynamic updates as well.

You can't import the device state as this will require the same subscription licenses, and installed packages, as the production device

An OSS can be kept updated with

-PAN-OS upgrades

-App-ID updates

-imported config files from production device

Upon failure the device can go live immediately and fetch subscription updates as soon as the licences have been moved and retrieved

If your failed device is still up at the time of failure you could export and import a device state at that time, but 'historically' there is no advantage over importing device state versus configuration onto a standby device: device state contains session table and other runtime info that is useless for the purpose of updating an offline spare

Tom Piens
PANgurus
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!