Custom Report and User ID

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom Report and User ID

Not applicable

We are running PA 2020 with Software version 3.1.6. We noticed when we run custom report  with user ID , the logs mix-up Source Host address. For example

A week ago I logged in with a computer name Laptop 1 for a day , and past 6 days I logged in with a computer name Laptop 2. This morning when I ran a report with my user ID just for yesterday , I noticed some of the activity on the logs are from Laptop1. Laptop1 was used by someone else yesterday yet PAN is showing I am logging in with Laptop1.

We contacted PAN tech support and they keep saying it is a DNS problem. However we are not noticing any problem with DNS.

To me it seems like PAN is not clearing the cash.

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Or a bad User-ID caching/clearing problem ?

yes .. something like that , so far we haven't found a fix

Not applicable

Are you using AD to log in? Is it possible that somone is logging into the laptop with a local user account? If that is the case, UserID will track all activity from that device as the source user of the last person that logged into the device with AD. If you were the last person to log in and someone else logs in with a local account, I believe your name will still be in the FW logs. The user ID agent polls your AD servers... If it is still in the AD DC security logs that you were the last person to log into the laptop, that is what the PA Firewall will put in its logs. I would check the UserID agent and the domain controller and see what users are showing up there for that laptop.

If your AD Logs are different than what your PAN agent has or the PAN agent is different than what your PA Firewall is showing, that would be something worth mentioning to tech support. What version of the PAN UserID agent are you running?

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!