Custom URL Category override wildcard matches with more specifics?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom URL Category override wildcard matches with more specifics?

L6 Presenter

Is there a way, within the URL Categories, to override wildcarded domain blocks in one category with more specific allows in another category? E.g. we have created custom URL categories for company allowed and blocked domains. I have a wildcarded domain that was put in a custom block category do to Infosec policies. Now I need to add that specific URL path to the allowed list, while continuing to block the rest of the domain.

Custom Objects->URL Categories->

URL-Allow:

server3.example.com/

URL-Block:

*.example.com/

example.com/

Security Profiles->URL Filtering

Category:

abortion - block block

abused-drugs - block block

adult - block block

URL-Allow - allow allow

URL-Block - block block

When going to https://server3.example.com/video the connection gets blocked by the URL-Block list, even though the more specific URL match exists in the URL-Allow list. Other than putting the URL in the URL Filtering->Overrides, is there a way to order precedence of URL Categories to match more specifics?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Adrian_Jensen ,

This is how the Palo Alto URL filtering order works by design. The one that has more severe action will be chosen first. For more details, you can refer this KB Article.

Block- Most Severe

Allow-Least Severe

Hope it helps!

M

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @Adrian_Jensen ,

This is how the Palo Alto URL filtering order works by design. The one that has more severe action will be chosen first. For more details, you can refer this KB Article.

Block- Most Severe

Allow-Least Severe

Hope it helps!

M

Ah, OK, thanks. That is what I suspected, but searching I couldn't find that KB when looking for URL Category order of operation. I think the most important part of that is the end of the KB that defines category priority in filtering.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!