Custom URL wildcard

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Custom URL wildcard

L4 Transporter

Hi all,

I have a question relating to wildcards in a Custom URL Category on PA-500 - 4.1.0

I have the following entry in my custom URL category

*.centos.org

and I'm finding that I'm getting a match with the following URL (and many others)

mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.7/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.i686.rpm

Is this correct please? What I intended to match on was server-x.centos.org/, server-y.centos.org etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Dave

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dave,

Oskar (in the post before yours) is correct - currently the wildcard will look for the specified pattern in both the host as well as the path, and this behavior should be the same across all releases.  We hope to address the ability to limit patterns to either the host or the path in an upcoming release, so stay tuned.

Thanks,

Doris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L4 Transporter

Hi

*.centos.org

will match everything that comes in as <xyz>.centos.com

so you will see multiple matches - as you do.

If however, you'd like to be able to match ONLY and not any of the others

server-x.centos.org/, server-y.centos.org

then you may have to specify the URLs explicitly

HTH

Thanks for your reply!

My issue is that *.centos.org matches URLs that contain this string anywhere, rather than just the host name portion of the URL.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

In the example you provided:

*.centos.org

and I'm finding that I'm getting a match with the following URL (and many others)

mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/mirror.centos.org/5.7/updates/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.18-274.7.1.el5.i686.rpm

this is expected behavior, since the wildcard matches anything before ".centos.org"  The example URL you provided matched because you have "mirror.ox.ac.uk/sites/mirror" preceding the pattern you defined.  Is your intention to only match when the URL only has one token preceding ".centos.org"?  For example, match "abc.centos.org" and not "def.abc.centos.org"?

--Doris

Hi Doris,

Thanks - it's my intention to match any host name ending in .centos.org

For example,

server.centos.org/blah/blah/

other.server.centos.org/blah/blah/blah/

but not

Thanks

Dave

OK, so the wildcard in the URL-filter makes no distinction between URI-path and the host portion? Is that true in all releases?

Does anybody know if this is the case please?

Hi Dave,

Oskar (in the post before yours) is correct - currently the wildcard will look for the specified pattern in both the host as well as the path, and this behavior should be the same across all releases.  We hope to address the ability to limit patterns to either the host or the path in an upcoming release, so stay tuned.

Thanks,

Doris

OK, thanks for the info. Hope this does change in a future release. I bet 99.9% of us using the feature in question are under the assumption that the pattern is matched against the host portion of the URL.

Thank you both for your help!

Yes this would be a most useful enhancement and would bring it in line with how I thought it worked!

Thanks,
Dave

• 1 accepted solution
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!